Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Deciding on a C.S. intercooler & pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 PM
Default Deciding on a C.S. intercooler & pipes

I've been looking at Cork Sport's intercooler and piping upgrade for my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve 2.5 L. turbo. Yeah, it's spendy, $500. for the intercooler and $300 for the hard and soft pipes to replace all the OEM pipes. And then there's at least $400. for the labor my at performance center installation. Findlay Customs is a very high quality shop with many new "supercars" being worked on there for custom installs of many types of upgrades. I have had them do many upgrades on my cars over the years. All their work was excellent.

The entire intercooler/pipe kit gives me an average of 8 HP over the useable RPM range and 10 HP in some parts. I do love added performance in this SUV. I like the CX 5's handling and steering and an increase in HP is warranted in a car this good. So is it worth another $1,200.? Well I have the "disposable income" since we had to cancel our drive around Spain and Portugal this summer so why not? Unlike an overseas vacation this investment keeps on giving month after month. Th-th-that's my story an I'm sticking' to it.
Would you do this upgrade?

My final upgrade, when the 225/5/19 OEM tires are worn out, will be 245/50/19 Michelin Pilot All Season tires for better handling. As motörhead's know, better tires do more to improve handling than almost any other single handling upgrade. Yeah, I've done lowering springs and sway bars as well as underbody and strut tower stiffeners. They all helped but wider tires with lower ratio sidewalls.
helped handling most as a single item upgrade.

Eric B.
(And now let the usual professional mechanic naysayers begin their diatribes about why this is a waste of money.)

Last edited by Litehiker; 07-31-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

This is a waste of money ( there I said it )

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Its your vehicle & your money, you can do what you wish. I can't se a negative for the vehicle. I would like to see dyno figures before and after, just to see what real life difference it makes.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM

grim_reaper, Pray tell why tis is a waste of money.
I direct you to CorkSport's website and the print copy on this intercooler/pipe kit that shows dyne results (3 pull average, no less).

I agree, it is d@mn expensive for what I get in added HP but hey, it's my ride. Anyway I am already setting up a "pre-install" dyne pull session. Three pulls is all I want to pay for.
Eric B.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:25 PM

I second the response!
Its a WASTE of money........

Most all Inter cooler offered use cheap cores that really are less efferent then an OEM inter-cooler.
Not going to argue this point with anyone. I did much of the testing and technical information on several IC comparing an OEM to a few aftermarket Performance IC's for an article in a popular world wide circulated auto magazine about Inter-coolers. I also currently have a Patent Pending on a design for one.
You would be money better spent having talked to you about this on a few of your thread to get a water/meth system for your Mazda!
You might also consider (strongly) to paint your IC flat black! Think and look at the ad!

Just to be clear ....MOST of CORKSPORT products are worth they while(have several myself) , I did look at the information about the IC. I know a bit more about testing done and DYNO(chassis, engine & Transmission) to read more into the information provided. I also notice no one is bragging about the core type?

Last edited by Callisto; 08-01-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:52 PM

Callisto,
The Cork Sport intercooler and aluminum pipes are black powder coated. The CX upgrade will not void my warranty however a water injection setup will void it. Still, I'll look into water injection for the day when the warranty expires.

Eric B.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
Callisto,
The Cork Sport intercooler and aluminum pipes are black powder coated. The CX upgrade will not void my warranty however a water injection setup will void it. Still, I'll look into water injection for the day when the warranty expires.

Eric B.
Not sure where you got that information on the water injection voiding the warranty because it is inaccurate!
It would be like useing none recomend fuel (100 octane) or a fuel additive and saying that would void your warranty... which neither will do.
I am glad you noticed the color...did you wonder why they did that! And did you wonder why I recommended for you to do it to the OEM IC
I may have missed it but where did you read from CorkSport that the IC and piping will not void a manufactures warranty?
Just asking because i did not see that and you would think they would have that as a feature in the advertising?

I've been looking at Cork Sport's intercooler and piping upgrade for my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve 2.5 L. turbo. Yeah, it's spendy, $500. for the intercooler and $300 for the hard and soft pipes to replace all the OEM pipes. And then there's at least $400. for the labor my at performance center installation. Findlay Customs is a very high quality shop with many new "supercars" being worked on there for custom installs of many types of upgrades. I have had them do many upgrades on my cars over the years. All their work was excellent.

The entire intercooler/pipe kit gives me an average of 8 HP over the useable RPM range and 10 HP in some parts.

Eric B.
(And now let the usual professional mechanic naysayers begin their diatribes about why this is a waste of money.)
Ok so lets see... and lets say you get 8 HP gain ( read the ad again about the power disclaimer )
Note:Depending on modifications installed, calibration of the OEM ECU, equipment options, and local climate tuning can be required to get [size=13px]optimum[/size] power from this or any other Skyactiv Turbo power upgrade.

1200 divided by 8 + =150 per 1HP gain!

Last edited by Callisto; 08-01-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:36 PM

Callisto,
I got that warranty assurance from CS when I talked to them on the phone but as a backup I will ask for it in writing. CS referred to the SEMA "replacement parts" legal victory they won decades ago re. warranties being valid with aftermarket parts that do no harm as further indication their intercooler kit would not void the warranty. Hmmmm...

I think if you look at CS's website and all the photos of the IC kit you will find it is all top quality components - as it had d@mn well better be for the prices they charge.

Eric B.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:39 PM

Callisto,
I got that warranty assurance from CS when I talked to them on the phone but as a backup I will ask for it in writing. CS referred to the SEMA "replacement parts" legal victory they won decades ago re. warranties being valid with aftermarket parts that do no harm as further indication their intercooler kit would not void the warranty. Hmmmm...

I think if you look at CS's website and all the photos of the IC kit you will find it is all top quality components - as it had d@mn well better be for the prices they charge.

Eric B.
Eric... that is not exactly what the SEMA information was. I was part of that whole thing as I have been a member of SEMA since 1979!
Cork Sport is not MAZDA.
But subject that for another thread. That and California C.A.R.B qualifications on some parts is also misunderstood on forums.
I would really like to see MAZDA Corp in writing that an engine aftermarket upgrade specifically on the induction system (which could change the emission among other things) will not void the warranty!!! Hey if you get it GOOD FOR YOU" You will one of the only ones to get that! I mean that BTW!
Advertised marketing Pictures of products are most of the time a lot different then what the end product you actually get in your hands. And you are not reading what they are NOT saying about the IC they offer.

On a little more technical side think about this.A DYNO generally you do a WOT (wide open Throttle/full throttle/floored) run registering the end result DATA in one gear generally 3rd. This means that the CFM is flowing through the engine and the IAT will reflect a cooler intake charged within a second or 2. In the real world normally on most engines unless you are Drag Racing or Road Tracking on a long straight section of track at WOT you IAT will be lower and if you were to set the DYNO to reflect similar real world condition in the case of the advertised DYNO for the IC you would not have gotten the power values in the area advertised. The IC is not a quality core (or they would have mentioned its attributes )and if it were those much better IC cores generally for the size advertised are about 5 bills by them selves. That is core only nothing more, no end tanks! However the market is saturated with inexpensive low performing IC cores that anyone or manufacture can buy and weld on their own tanks and call them engineered!

Now I will say that painting a IC or radiator will have some effect of temperature reduction when measured with a thermal temperature diagnostic tool while they are running at low engine speeds predominating idle to lower the coolant temperatures and reduce the increase heat saturation in IAT during the low amount of cooler air flow in the engine compartment. A good none metal or thermal wrapped intake piping will have more benefits and considerably less cost then most available larger IC on a vehicle mainly street driven vehicle.

Oh one last thing 8-10 hp gain ….use a ¼ mile calculator and see that it is almost a joke for a street engine. If you were class racing that a 1/10 and ½ mph on the 1/4 mile run would make a difference in winning then sure but other wise the cost per 1 hp gained is totally unrealistic. Conclusion MONEY WASTED!

Ok I am done with this thread because at this point is see it going bad and members complaining to the overseer's.
Good luck!

Last edited by Callisto; 08-02-2020 at 08:58 AM.