Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Air conditioning pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Default Air conditioning pump

Hi All
My air con pump (ind. air con expert confirmed) has packed up on our Mazda 5 2l petrol 2007 (jan).
The new ones are ridiculously expensive. What are my options?
- scrap yard? Is there a difference between deisel/petrol and the years if i get a used one?
- is there anyone who re-conditions on a part ex?
Thanks
Andy

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM

A/C compressors are generally not cheap and if you do find a cheap one compared to all others stay away from it, there is a reason its so cheap and you dont want to find out why. You can try to find a junkyard compressor, there will be differences between engines like mounting points, pulley types, rotation direction, A/C clutch connections, A/C line connections e.t.c. Your best bet is to get the same exact one for your car BUT you can find out the part number of your compressor and do a search and see what it crosses with, sometimes you can, for example, get a part thats technically not for your car, lets say for a Toyota but Mazda and Toyota both used the same A/C compressor, this happens more often than you think. Then comes the "do I go new or reman?" question, IMO both can have equal failure rates, both can be dead out of the box and both can run till the end of the car's life, me personally I would get the reman if it is certified and has a warranty, compare the warranty with the new one also to see which is better (1yr vs 3yrs e.t.c.).

Next question is why did your compressor fail? Was it low on charge? Did water get into the system somehow? Did the clutch just burn out but the compressor is good (sometimes you can just get a clutch kit for it)? If you just change the compressor and nothing else your liable to have the same problem again in the future.