Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   What Tires Do you Have for you Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/what-tires-do-you-have-you-mazda3-36080/)

petroxg 10-23-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1 (Post 155133)

As to your last question, I really couldn't say whether or not you'd like the Conti's over the Michelins better. Probably not, but I have no experience with that partcular model, or even modern Michie's so I couldn't say. I was, as asked, expressing my opinion of the tires I'm running and are happy with now. My wife is on her second set, and the difference in her car (2006 Vibe) was also like night and day. I will likely go back to the Conti's when these wear out too.
I will say that at the time I was getting a little tired of crappy tires on the car and so I was looking for the best all-around alternative I could find. It's always a bit of a crap shoot anyway. Even the Kumho's (ASX's) I had on before rated pretty well, and a few people I talked to said they liked them. But the absolutely sucked on my car.
I looked at Michelins then too. I forget the model that rated similarly to the Conti's at that time, but do remember them costing about another $25(+/-) per tire.

It quite ok. I am open to suggestion and what other tires might be good. Otherwise I wouldn't come here to post in the first place. Michelins in general is usually the most pricy tire brand, I had great experience with them on my Acura TL and with the nice deal going on at Costco, I decided to give a shot. From my limited research about tires online, they generally pointed towards Michelins, Conti, Yoko and maybe a few of the Good year tires for great tires. Personally I will not try good year again cuz of my bad experience with them in the pass (they sucked on my Acura especially). I have yet to try Conti and yoko but might consider trying them next in the future. I use to get Kumho all the time for my old 99 Protégé, they are decent but not great, like the really cheap price though. Gone about 40k miles usually. The stock Bridgestone ones that came with my 3 is decent, get me 55k miles, but road noise is bad with them, especially when the treadwear is halfway or more gone. Thanks a lot for your input.

petroxg 10-23-2015 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by GEEBOSS (Post 155129)
My wife's 2013 Civic is clad with Michelin Defender 205/55/16 which is a good daily driver tire for her 30 mile highway travel in DC Beltway Traffic. Handles well in the rain and we will see how they do in the snow this winter. Panic stops are very controlled so she is quite happy with them. One thing in DC traffic you want great tires and Brakes.

I rather give up the mileage that the Defenders offer for increased traction in corners that the Pilot Sports AS3 provide. At 65 I might consider the new Nitto NT 555G2 if they offer it in 225/45/17 but its really geared towards the Camaro and Mustang GT in 19" or 20" wheels. We will see in November when the are released. I'm not one to hold on to my tires to get the max mileage out of them....when they start slipping and slidding in wet weather I begin to look for replacements. Other people will continue to put up with the loss of traction and drive slower to be safe...me I'll throw on new rubber and zoom!!

Yea I am aware of Defender 90k warranty. I purposely did not choose it cuz I know is meant for tread life more than performance. I agree with you, I rather have traction more than tire life. Replace tire when they start slipping, in fact I start looking when I see tire thread start getting to the indicator mark.

Jeremy Ritchie 11-21-2015 11:32 AM

anyone tried 245/45 r19s on an 05 Mazda 3 hatchback?

Checkered Demon 12-08-2015 09:26 AM

I recently replaced the Sumitomos on my 2010 Mazda3 with BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S's and the improvement was dramatic! These BFGs *really* grip the road, especially in the wet. Virtually every aspect was improved: ride, handling, turn-in, braking, and road noise. And, the tread pattern it *totally* badass! The tires cost me $94/ea. from TireRack and came with a $70 gift card rebate, making my final cost about $77/tire - that's a pretty good deal on top-flight rubber:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

If money is really tight, TireRack is currently blowing out the Sumitomo HTRZ-II for $50/tire!!! That is a *killer* deal on high performance tires, 7 tires left at that price, then it reverts to $66/tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

These tires are not a good as the BFGs, and appear to last about 20k mi., but for the money they are a decent value. Personally, I'd spend the extra $27/tire for the BFGs, you'll probably make it up via tread life; the BFGs should be good for 35k - 40k miles...

-CD-

PS: The BFGs also out-scored the Conti DWSs on recent TireRack tests!!