Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Turn Signal Flasher Location (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/turn-signal-flasher-location-15899/)

04Mazda3Sport 09-25-2008 06:03 PM

Turn Signal Flasher Location

I'm needing to find the turn signal flasher so I can replace it with an aftermarket flasher so I can run LED turn signals. I read somewhere that it is located on an 04 3 behind the IC and its about 1x2 inches and white. I am having no luck finding it in the car, and even All Data isn't helping me any. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. A pic of it would be great, or even a diagram. Thanks, Scott.

virgin1 09-25-2008 06:40 PM

RE: Turn Signal Flasher Location

Damn Scott, that was an old post of mine you found. I think I posted that on Mz3F.com, right?
I never did find or replace the OE flasher, no one had answer for me either, but think I saw the white box when looking under at the instrument cluster one day. Impossible to reach w/o removal of it, and so since I wasn't sure of my facts I let it go. (<<< LAZY!!!)
I am running LEDs in the rear and am using 6 ohm resisters. They are working just fine. The brake/running lights don"t require a resister.

icspots 09-25-2008 07:47 PM

There is no flasher relay on the Mz3. The turn signals/hazards and even the sound are electronically controlled by the car's computer. If you want to add LED turn signals and avoid the quick-flash you get with the LED's decreased resistance you need to install load equalizers at the lights themselves.

Oh and while typing this I accidentally flipped my firefox into "night" mode...... basically all the colors inverted so everything that was white is now black, my text is white, and the purple forum banner is green....... anyone know how I managed that? lol

virgin1 09-25-2008 07:59 PM

Well! Look at you!! After 2-3 yrs of wondering where the little sucker was, here you had the answer all the time. I figured that one day I'd take the instrument cluster out for some reason and find it there, but you just saved me the trouble.
I wonder how the heck the ECU does that? And why bother? Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to install a flasher relay?

icspots 09-25-2008 08:47 PM

Technically I haven't had the answer for 2-3 years.... I think I only learned that in the last six months or so. That being said I did get to sound all smart. :P

04Mazda3Sport 09-28-2008 06:29 PM

Yeah, that was where I found it. Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but just like you Richard, I wasn't getting notifications of this thread.....good thing I ran across it today. The 2 questions that remain are do I need to install a resistor for the third brake light? I was reading somewhere that you need one to stop it from flashing when the brake is applied (doesn't sound too legit to me). As for my other question, do I need one for the side markers as well, i.e. the repeaters?

virgin1 09-28-2008 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was running LED bulbs in the rear for several years, then installed the XenonMods 3rd brake light and all of a sudden my cruise control would disengage when I used the turn signals. In short, yes, if you are going all the way w/LEDs, you will need a resister somewhere in there.

Attachment 6645 Attachment 6646

Siber Express 09-28-2008 07:20 PM

They have the resister built in mine I am guessing, since it came with the LED third brake light. I am hoping it is built in before the running/brake light bulbs since I am switching then over soon.

virgin1 09-28-2008 07:27 PM

It shouldn"t (?) matter since they are on the same circuit, but since they come w/tungsten filiment bulbed running/tailights, that would be your resister.
If you change over to all LEDs you will probably need to install one.
What I have, what you see there, is nothing more than a 20w 8ohm resister from RS (I already had it in my box)installed in some plumbers strap to a screw that was already there and grounded.

Siber Express 09-28-2008 08:00 PM

I know I will have to put the load resister in turn signals, since I think I am going to change all including the Repeaters to LED lights.

icspots 09-28-2008 09:17 PM

Wow Richard that's the first I've heard of anyone needing a resistor wired to their brake light. Honestly I don't see why you would need one to keep the cruise control working as AFAIK it should continue to work even if the brake lights go out (i.e. vastly decreased resistance).

Siber Express 09-28-2008 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: icspots

Wow Richard that's the first I've heard of anyone needing a resistor wired to their brake light. Honestly I don't see why you would need one to keep the cruise control working as AFAIK it should continue to work even if the brake lights go out (i.e. vastly decreased resistance).
I think because the less voltage and/or wattage to light up the LED's a bump that bounces the brake petal a little bit that would not light up the normal bulbs will light the LED's completing the brake circuit, I have a load resister in my LED lights on my work truck (mounted on the Cab Shield)for the same reason, the cruise would kick off.

icspots 09-28-2008 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

I think because the less voltage and/or wattage to light up the LED's a bump that bounces the brake petal a little bit that would not light up the normal bulbs will light the LED's completing the brake circuit, I have a load resister in my LED lights on my work truck (mounted on the Cab Shield) for the same reason, the cruise would kick off.
Okay well the physical movement of the pedal makes sense.

04Mazda3Sport 09-28-2008 09:35 PM

I plan for now to keep the side markers as TF bulbs, so would I need to put a resistor in each one of those as well to keep the rapid flash away? I'm hoping not, since I only ordered 4 of the resistors. This is what I bought: http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481
Will those be good enough? They are 50 watt 6 ohm resistors.

icspots 09-28-2008 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 04Mazda3Sport

I plan for now to keep the side markers as TF bulbs, so would I need to put a resistor in each one of those as well to keep the rapid flash away? I'm hoping not, since I only ordered 4 of the resistors. This is what I bought: http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481
Will those be good enough? They are 50 watt 6 ohm resistors.

AFAIK you won't need to add resistors into the side markers even if you make them LED as long as you have load resistors on the front signals. The side markers are tapped off of the front signals.

04Mazda3Sport 09-28-2008 11:37 PM

Thank god. That was news I was wanting to hear. I'm glad you happen to be one of the bearers of good news.

virgin1 09-29-2008 02:01 AM

Wow Richard that"s the first I"ve heard of anyone needing a resistor wired to their brake light. Honestly I don"t see why you would need one to keep the cruise control working as AFAIK it should continue to work even if the brake lights go out (i.e. vastly decreased resistance).

Believe me, I was hoping I wouldn't need one either, but w/LED bulbs in the tails and third BL too, I was getting bleed over through the turn signals. When I used the turns, the thirdBL would dimly flash w/them. Anyway, that was enough for the cruise to think I had tapped the brake pedal and disconnect, or so it seemed to me. Added the resistor and no more problems. Before the LED third, no problems either.

virgin1 09-29-2008 02:57 AM

Plenty, though their prices are not the best I"ve seen. 50 watt is overkill, but will work fine.
You don't have to get the ballasts that these people sell. You can do it much, much cheaper by going to an electronics store and getting a regular ceramic resister. You have to come up w/a way to mount it and you would have to solder the leads.I"ll save the $7-$10/ea and buy the same thing for $1 and do my own work to them.

edit: MAANNNN!!! I just looked again at some of their prices and they are HIGH!!!! $40 forONE bulb!!!
Try this site next time: http://autolumination.com/

Lev 09-30-2008 07:58 PM

I would use The Xenon store http://www.thexenonstore.com/ledbulbs.php Their prices are cheaper and he has a few other Mazda 3 goodies.