Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Winter Wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Default Winter Wheels??

The Missus and I just added a CX-9 to the family. But I want to enjoy my 2004 3 Hatch for another couple of years. I have to get new wheels, and the guys at Discounttire recommended the Momo Winter wheel as a good buy. What do you guys think? What do you use as a Winter wheel? Living in Massachusetts, potholes everywhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:44 PM

I use my stock 16" 5stars dressed with bridgestone full blown winter/snow treads. I went with aftermarket 17" ASA AR1's for spring/summer/fall with high performance summer sneakers. All the paint is bubbling and chipping off the stockers because of the salt/sand/bad winters. It's time to get them refinished.

You could do what I did and go that route. Use the stockers for winter and upgrade to a set of 17" or even 18" aftermarket for summer. Though I'm from New England too I went with 17's because of the potholes. Little more sidewall on the tire is good for the ride quality. I'd recommend tirerack for rims and I would go this route only if you are going to be keeping the car for a while (or you are planning on buying a new 3). But if you are talking low budget winter application I don't really have a good suggestion. I suppose you could shop tire rack for wheels and check out the cheaper ones. Several people I know went that route too.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well, since we are coming into the spring/summer months I don't think it is that critical right now, so you have lots of time before it becomes so.
I can tell you for sure that you will need at least a 16" wheel to clear the bigger brakes of the 2.3L HB, but would recommend going that route. That way you can opt for a narrower tread/taller side-walled tire to better your ride, avoid damaged wheels from potholes and cut through the snow better.
Dedicated winter tires do tend to be a little taller anyway though.
Any 16" wheel w/a 5x114.3 (4.5") bolt circle and at least a +42mm offset (+45 to +50mm would be safer) should do the job, but test fit for clearance before you buy.
I might recommend the local junk yard or used tire/wheel shop for winter wheels for an aging car. Why spend a bunch o' money on a car you only plan to keep a few more years?

Last edited by virgin1; 04-30-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:32 PM

I have thought of doing that on a couple of occasions, going with a 16 inch wheel so that I can get something that can take the beating of the cold. Your right V1 about it being early, but I have to start now to set aside for the wheels. So going with the 16", I imagine the folks will then have to do something to the suspension?? Or will they be okay as long as the wheel well can handle the size? I imagine because of them being smaller wheels and tires, I should not worry about them brushing the inside of the wheel well...??

Thank you Oz and V1

Last edited by mlapaz@comcast.net; 05-01-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Didn't thank responders
Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

The wheel size will be 1" smaller, but the overall diameter w/tire should be roughly the same (a 50 series sidewall vs. a 55 or 60 series tire.) You need to pay attention to the wheel's offset to make it all work w/o body mods. +42, or better, +45-+50mm would be ideal not matter the size of the wheel.
Plus, a narrower tread width is best for bad weather conditions. It changes the tire foot print to a longer, narrower pattern so that it will "cut through" snow better rather than just floating over it.
Better control overall.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 AM

I just purchased two Mazda3 wheels on Craigslist. Went to autoparts and searched
[17" Mazda3 wheels] Guy sold two for $100. They were used only 3 weeks. Craigslist has worked for me many times. Hope this helps. Streetmach.