Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Tell me about my new '08 Mazda 3 s GT (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/tell-me-about-my-new-08-mazda-3-s-gt-28564/)

variableresults 02-11-2012 02:32 PM

Tell me about my new '08 Mazda 3 s GT

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and the Mazda world. Just picked up an '08 3s GT last night with 30k miles on it. I'm wondering if you guys can give me the skinny on it (other than the stuff in the manual and published specs, etc). I already know that it drives awesome, of course ;) I'm most curious about how often you'd recommend full-synthetic oil changes and any performance-boosting aftermarket parts, as well as reasonably-priced all-season tires that will last the longest given the negative camber. Any additional "insider info" is also welcome.

Cheers!

-Russ

shipo 02-11-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by variableresults (Post 125457)
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and the Mazda world. Just picked up an '08 3s GT last night with 30k miles on it. I'm wondering if you guys can give me the skinny on it (other than the stuff in the manual and published specs, etc). I already know that it drives awesome, of course ;) I'm most curious about how often you'd recommend full-synthetic oil changes and any performance-boosting aftermarket parts, as well as reasonably-priced all-season tires that will last the longest given the negative camber. Any additional "insider info" is also welcome.

Cheers!

-Russ

My comments:
  • Now that my 2009 Mazda3 is out of warranty, I'm moving to 10,000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 0W-30
  • Regarding performance boosting parts, unless you're considering a turbo application, save your money, aftermarket parts won't do diddly for your performance.
  • I replaced the crap factory tires when there was only 714 miles on my car; I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and they went just over 48,000 miles. I have since replaced them with a set of Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires which I suspect will last a bit longer than the Pilot Sports.

apbbnbanb_07 02-11-2012 03:23 PM

I run Mobil 1 10W-20 at 4-5k, seems to do alright.

As for tires, I have found a set of Riken Raptors that are doing extremely well, good ride, good traction in snow. They are sitting at 36k with 50% tread left.

shipo 02-12-2012 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07 (Post 125459)
I run Mobil 1 10W-20 at 4-5k, seems to do alright.

As for tires, I have found a set of Riken Raptors that are doing extremely well, good ride, good traction in snow. They are sitting at 36k with 50% tread left.

Mobil 1 10W-20? Is there such a thing? If there is I'm thinking it's too thick when cold for proper engine lubrication.

icspots 02-12-2012 09:30 AM

I change my oil out every 5k or so, sometimes it goes a little longer depending on weather/schedule/motivation. If you want to do the real way to check it then do your oil change and at the next change send a sample off to blackstone labs to have it analyzed.

Incidentally I use 5w20 mobil one full synthetic.

wgwbtbn 02-17-2012 02:10 PM

You can run regular oil 4-5k. Synthetic should last 10k.

noz34me 02-19-2012 08:40 PM

I'm not an oil expert, but I would stick with the 5-20 range since that's the recommended weight. If you can find a 0-20, that may be fine, as it would make your winter starts even easier- -but I would stay away from any higher weights on the low end. My 2 cents.

Not sure about Mazdas, but with some other cars that have been running dino oil for a long time, switching to a thinner synthetic will sometimes bring out leaks- - perhaps long time owners can comment on that.

Aubrey 02-24-2012 08:28 PM

I've always run synthetic in mine and change the oil at 6-7k intervals.
Stock Goodyear's = bad
Kumho Ecsta = better
Yoko's = even better