Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Strong "new car smell" (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/strong-%22new-car-smell%22-16929/)

elchaparrito123 12-28-2008 04:00 PM

Strong "new car smell"

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and did a search on the forum and didn't see anything similar. My new 2009 Mazda 3 GS has a very strong smell inside. Airing out the car has done nothing. I've had new carsbefore andknow new cars have a certain smell for awhile, but this is much stronger and not particularly pleasant. Has anyone noticed a similar problem, and if so, any advice? I am quite sensitive to chemicals and other smells and thus this is a serious issue for me.

Thanks

Amnesia Wes 12-28-2008 04:35 PM

RE: Strong "new car smell"

elchaparrito123, I apologize for sidetracking for a second, but your post reminded me of a joke I heard recently:

Why do men like women wearing leather?
(Because it smells like a new truck!)

Now back to your smell issue. You should not be experiencing an unusual smell, UNLESS something was added to your vehicle by the dealer. For example, I had a new car that the dealer had Ziebart undercoating done on it before I took delivery. It had a unusual odor that went away after a couple of weeks, as the spray that attached to the exhaust had some time to burn off. Maybe, that's what's happening to your vehicle. Ask the dealer. They might be able to enlighten you.

elchaparrito123 12-28-2008 07:37 PM

Thanks Amnesia Wes, but nothing was added at the dealer. The smell is throughout the interior as well as in the trunk.

jaimie08mazda3 12-28-2008 11:10 PM

its just the new smell that they always give. i personally love it. if it doesnt do anything then dont worry about it but if you start getting either getting bothered or an allergic reaction.

elchaparrito123 12-29-2008 07:50 AM

thanks jaimie08mazda3. it has actually been bothering me - dry eyes and dry throat, sometimes a headache, so it's some type of allergic reaction. how long did the smell stay in your car?

pooley 12-29-2008 02:41 PM

I bought my car in the start of October, It still has the smell but nowhere near as strong

elchaparrito123 12-29-2008 03:57 PM

thanks pooley. i'm hoping the smell starts to go away in my car. i've even been thinking of subleasing it because the smell has been affecting me in terms of congestion, irritated eyes and throat, etc., which has taken away from the enjoyment of the car.

Siber Express 12-29-2008 04:02 PM

If you park somewhere you can leave the windows cracked a little it might help.
Mine was bad enough that my wife put an air freshener in, I don"t know which was worse LOL

elchaparrito123 12-29-2008 04:06 PM

Thanks Siber Express. I've been trying to leave the windows open when I'm outside, but generally it's parked underground and there's lots of dust and fumes down there.

Hasit gotten better, and if so, how long did it take?

jaimie08mazda3 12-29-2008 06:09 PM

its not that bad anymore obviously (im a smoker and ive had the car for a year and a half) however the smell lasted maybe 2 months. if its an issue what you may do is go to your mazda dealership and ask them to do something about it. if it bothered me i would for sure go there and ask them what they did. or you could just put in say febrese or something. that works as well. or an air freshener.