Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Help PowerSteering and all new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Default Help PowerSteering and all new tires

I bought my Mazda 3 new last August - I have about 11,000 miles on it. October I brought it in because it seemed to shake on the highway and never drove like a tight new car. I buy a new car every 4 years so I know what a new car should feel like. They told me I needed air in the tires. January - riding terrible - took it in and they balanced the tires - all were out of balance. In the meantime my power steering stopped working while I was driving. Also had regular maintenance done at this time.

March - Power steering went again - couldn't drive car for a few hours then it started working again - called Mazda and they said they could get me in the end of the following week!

July - Went to get an inspection sticker at my local tire repair shop - WOULD NOT PASS INSPECTION. I needed all new tires. They were cupped and "flat spots" - I couldn't believe it - I buy a new car before I buy new tires. Okay - $950.00 and Mazda dealer wouldn't help me.

July - Mazda told me the power steering had been recalled so, I took it in for the day - had to get a ride to work....etc. etc.

July - Power steering went again today while I was driving down a hill.

Okay, so all new tires, no power steering - any help?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 PM

My suggestion would be to trade down to a low mileage 05 or 06 .
Less problems.
Just on this forum alone, it seems a few are having power steering problems with the later models, so you are not alone.
Bob.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM

why were the tires $950? thats outrageous for a set

Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 AM

The tires were 167.93 a piece plus tax - and I see on the bill I was charged $168 for Tire Maintenance and Protection plan........Tire recycling and I also had the inspection with oil change - total $948.76

Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Holy ****!

Tires are supposed to last over 80,000 of normal driving.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

why did you spend 167 a tire lol? go to sears auto center or something for tires, you could probably get the same tires that you got for like 100 dollars. and there is no tire maintenance at sears, its included in the cost of the tires. you shouldnt need new tires either if your car only had 11,000 miles on it. sears has all the top tires too, performance wise.

it sounds to me like your local tire repair shop ripped you off badly. real bad

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

when i had my previous car, i bought 4 new tires on it maybe about a year and a half ago, i got the bridgestone high performance all weather tires, had the tires balanced and everything, and got the warranty stuff, all for about 400 dollars.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow $950.00 for the factory tires? I ended upgrading slightly to Yokohama YK520's, which have proven to be really nice, for right at $800. There is a little more road noise than factory but I like them!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM

The stock RSA's on tire rack actually went down in price due to the simple fact that they are crappy.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM

since you have the complaint on your work order from when you took the car in to Mazda dealer because of the shaking issue and they did not fix the problem you could file a complaint with the mazda corporate office. If it was a tire problem they should have sent you to the tire dealer, since they did not and they tried to fix it themselves, they assumed responsibility. Even though tires are wear items you should be able to get SOME help from the corporate office. Call, write and POLITELY complain until you go up the food chain and you get some one to respond.

Quick Reply: Help PowerSteering and all new tires