Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2008 Mazda3 Hatch Manual Footwell lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Default 2008 Mazda3 Hatch Manual Footwell lights

I purchased an 08 3 manual and every time I turn on the headlights the footwell light on both the driver and passenger side come on (while the car is in gear and all doors are shut).

Pardon my ignorance, but is this normal? If not, is there a way to turn it off? I just don't want to be draining the battery for unnecessary lighting.

Thanks much for your help.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM

thats normal

Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Since the car is in gear I assume the engine is running, yes? If so then I wouldn't worry at all about draining the battery. As long as the engine is running the alternator is charging the battery so don't worry about it being a power drain.

Actually I didn't know the '08 came with footwell lighting.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by icspots
Since the car is in gear I assume the engine is running, yes? If so then I wouldn't worry at all about draining the battery. As long as the engine is running the alternator is charging the battery so don't worry about it being a power drain.

Actually I didn't know the '08 came with footwell lighting.
That makes two of us. I wonder, did you buy the car used?
It's certainly possible that someone before you added lights and set them up that way?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 AM

My 08 did not have footwell lighting, so it was added after and hooked up to either the parking light or headlight side of the switch for power to always be on with the lights.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 AM

yes i bought the car used. i original owner is a car enthusiast (ie he had motor mount #2 replaced, front windshield tinted at top for sun, was very attentive to noises, etc).

the reason i asked was because i did not think it was normal for the lights to be on in the footwell at night, unless it's a new mazda safety initiative.

any advice as to whether i should have the connection removed? it only comes on when i turn the headlights on.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Depends on whether or not you like it or not, My Mustang has the foot wells lit, but they can be turned off also.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

You could disconnect the wire if you don't want them working at all, or you could install a switch to turn them on only when you want them on. You could also rewire them to come on at a different time (i.e. when you open the doors or turn off the ignition). I suppose it depends entirely on when you want them to work. I have a LEDs installed as footwells that come on with my headlights, but I literally only have three of them (one on each side of the console in the front, and one in the back of the console that shines on the hump). They're very dim and provide just a tad of lighting so that you can see the floor. They match the intensity of the cluster rings, and the blue light above the ashtray very well. Everytime I see pictures of people who put big LED strips under their dashes it makes me cringe with how bright they must be.