Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

rear shocks are garbage

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Default rear shocks are garbage

Looking for some insight form anyone that has going this road. I have a 2015 m3 4 door. to improve the look, I put spacers on it and eibach lowering springs. The rear always rubs when someone sits in the back seat and I believe the driver side shock is going bad. Anyone run into the same issue? Or use an aftermarket shock that is stiffer than the stock crap that is on there now?

Thanks,
Dom

Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by M32015
Looking for some insight form anyone that has going this road. I have a 2015 m3 4 door. to improve the look, I put spacers on it and eibach lowering springs. The rear always rubs when someone sits in the back seat and I believe the driver side shock is going bad. Anyone run into the same issue? Or use an aftermarket shock that is stiffer than the stock crap that is on there now?

Thanks,
Dom
Interesting attitude, you screw around with the suspension, and then when the shocks fail because they are operating in a range they weren't designed for, you call them crap. The fact is, when the ride height of the car is left alone, the OEM shocks last a very good long time. FWIW, shock and other suspension component failure due to lowering is not the exclusive domain of Mazdas, pick a brand of car, lower the ride height, and expect unusual failures.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM

That may be an accurate statement if I had not done the research about the springs and spacers in relation to travel distance of the oem shocks and added wheel base. Neither change altered the geometry enough to the make changing the shocks necessary. They are simply too soft. Regarding my statement of the shock failing it is honestly an assumption, because there is no visible evidence of fluid leakage,which is the most common failure on fluid damping shocks. I am basing my assumption from my ability to compress them by hand while I was under the car. I have been working on cars for more than 28 years, I am more then educated and experienced on how to build, modify or repair cars or trucks. Ether way I was asking for some possible options for a stiffer shock from people who may have done something similar, not onions on what I have done to the car. If you don't have any valuable to contribute, keep your opinions to your self.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:28 AM

The very fact you lowered you car means the shocks are not operating in the range expected when the suspension was designed. Like it or don't, believe it or not, lowering cars will typically result in a shorted life for suspension components.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM

That would also be relevant if I had asked about the expected life span of the oem part. Do you troll everyone that posts questions? So far you have not contributed anything helpful or useful to the thread. Do you have any helpful to add? Being a senior member I would think and hope you would provide helpful information not just opposing opinions that are completely irrelevant to the actual post.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by M32015
That would also be relevant if I had asked about the expected life span of the oem part. Do you troll everyone that posts questions? So far you have not contributed anything helpful or useful to the thread. Do you have any helpful to add? Being a senior member I would think and hope you would provide helpful information not just opposing opinions that are completely irrelevant to the actual post.
Ahhh, it appears you subscribe to the school of, "Shoot the messenger." I'll keep that in mind the next time you ask for help.