Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Power Steering Failure in 08 Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/power-steering-failure-08-mazda3-18579/)

oldeng 06-16-2009 09:32 PM

Go to the general tech section of this forum and read the sticky about it. There's more to it, and Mazda has issued a TSB to dealers. Follow the advice re avoidance because you may be in for a recurrence if you don't.
The problem is not confined to 2008 Mazdas, but is widespread among many makes of vehicles kitted with electro-hydraulic power steering systems.(EHPS or EHPAS).
If you have had a recoverable episode which doesn't repeat in the dealer's presence and he says the scanner doesn't show a problem, either he doesn't know how to use the scanner or he's lying. Once the light goes on, that fault in latched in the ECU memory and appears when scanned until the ECU is reset, so don't get brushed off this way either.
(The BMW Mini-Coopers had this problem, and the way BMW handled it was so appalling, and enraged so many owners that the BBC did an investigation and broadcast a documentary about it in the UK).

apbbnbanb_07 06-19-2009 06:30 AM

Another victim to PS failure.

So the power steering went out in my '08 2.3 yesterday. The dealership says the pump needs replaced and is on back-order and won't get it untill the middle of July.

The question I had is, have they done anything with the new parts they are putting on as replacements? Or am I going to hafta pay for it when the warranty ends and it goes out again?

From what I hear from the guy at the dealership and the people on here it seems like this is becoming a common thing, and Mazda better figure out what theyre doin.

The worst part about it is, they stuck me in an '09 PT Cruiser for the next month!:mad:

Tracker 06-19-2009 11:09 AM

ive never heard of the pumps going out on any year other than the 07 and 08....no idea whats that about.

I dont understand your question really, are you talking about if they replace other components of the PS system?

apbbnbanb_07 06-19-2009 04:07 PM

My question is that, is Mazda trying to correct the situation since it is becoming a common problem?

The mechanic said that it was mainly the electric motor that was binding in my '08.

oldeng 06-19-2009 08:58 PM

Very common: go to the general tech section of this forum; At the very top there's a sticky giving you some background and help on what helps to avoid recurrence.
Many auto makers using the Mazda type EHPS have been having the same type of problem. Mazda has issued a TSB to their dealers about this; you can possibly find a link to it on one of the other Mazda forums. (toronto or Ottawa I think).

Almatti 06-20-2009 09:32 AM

Do you have the 08 or 08.5 model Mazda 3s.?

apbbnbanb_07 06-20-2009 11:15 AM

'08 Sport with the 2.3(HB)

apbbnbanb_07 06-20-2009 11:24 AM

And I'm aware of how to look over and not abuse my power steering.

I am however, always getting on to my wife about holding the wheel when its all the way to one side or the other, she has gotten better.

Kemick10 06-22-2009 04:56 PM

well at least you got a pt cruiser... when my car was in the shop... i got no loaner and they said tough luck, find your own damn ride... even though its in my warranty info

apbbnbanb_07 06-23-2009 04:32 PM

The guys had to call corporate 3 times before they would allow me to have a rental for a month.