Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   power steering/air conditioning (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/power-steering-air-conditioning-18716/)

rong peng 05-18-2009 06:41 PM

power steering/air conditioning

2008 Mazda3

The other day I turned on the AC and after a few seconds I heard a strange noise (like a clutch) and the engin light came on, turned off the car, waited a few seconds went through the same routine and the same happened, then I noticed that when the light came on I also lost the power steering. After turning the car off for 10 minutes or so everything stared working again and no problem since. Should I be expecting a break down soon?

Any Ideas? Today is a holiday so I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

Thanks in advance.

Rong P.

Siber Express 05-18-2009 08:33 PM

Does it do it when you are driving down the road or with the RPM above idle. It almost sounds like low voltage issue.

rong peng 05-19-2009 08:18 AM

This has only happened one day and about three times in a row of starting the car and turning it off, normal starting standing still.

oldeng 05-20-2009 07:03 PM

OK, a few things you have to know. First, yes, you can expect the situation to deteriorate.
Your power steering pump and A/C compressor share the same accessories drive belt, so belt condition and tension could be the culprit.
Next, there is an idler pulley in there I think, so it could be the problem.
Then there is mechanical malfunction of the servo pump or A/C compressor to consider.
There is a pressure switch on the power steering pump. The ECU looks for these three conditions, 1. Vehicle speed greater than 60 Km/Hr. (38 mph.) 2. Engine coolant temperature above 60 Deg. C. and 3. Power Steering pump pressure switch contact open. If the pressure switch has not opened, the check engine light is switched on.
Check the level, color, and smell of the fluid in the power steering reservoir. If the level is low, or the fluid is dark and has a burnt smell, your power steering pump may be the cause. If so read Virgin 1's sticky of 05-08-2009 09:13 PM at the head of the general tech forum regarding my observations about premature power steering pump failures in late model Mazdas.

MrSpike118 05-23-2009 11:11 AM

Power Steering Pump

I don't know if this is the same problem, but it sounds similar. A week ago it was hot and I had my AC on full blast, shut the car off got out for maybe a minute, got back in and after it started the power steering was not working and I had the steering wheel logo with the exclamation (!) point lite up on the dash (it was yellow). I shut the car off tried it again and the same thing. I waited 10 minutes started it back up and the lite was still on and it would not work. So I called Mazda roadside assistance and it was about 50 minutes until a tow truck came so I started the car to get it on the flat bed and it was fine. So I brought it to the dealership 2 days later (on a monday) and the said it produced no codes and they can't do anything. So I was upset, but figured it was a fluke. Then yesterday (a little over a week) it was hot out and I had the AC blasting and I had my car washed and vacuumed and after they bring the car out it was shut off, I got back in it started to drive and realized it was hard to turn. The power steering not working again and the lite appeared on the dash again. I was so close to home I just drove it home hoping no one would pull out in from of me because the handling is horrible without the power steering. So I got it home, called Mazda Corporate after I called the dealership and the said there is nothing they can do unless they see it broken ( I knew by the time it was towed there it would work) and Mazda Corporate said the same thing. They can't fix it unless they verify. I even went as far to say will you fix it after it causes me to crash? But as I knew it would happen I went out 45 minutes later and started it up and it was fine. So I don't know what to do except if it happens again and I try to drive the car to the dealership. But after my long story, yes expect it to get worse.

The power steering pump is not connected to the belt. It is a little canister and there is a little motor in it there spins that creates pressure in the lines that allows for the power assisting. I did research and saw that mazda used cheap hoses and they they corrode and rust and when it gets really hot it flakes and they float into the electric motor in the pump and cause it to jam and after a while the float back out. But let me tell you this is no fun and I have no confidence in my car at the moment as far as reliability is concerned.

MrSpike118 05-23-2009 11:12 AM

PS

They claim it is only on 2008 mazda 3's.

MrSpike118 05-23-2009 11:13 AM

What did the dealership say to you?