Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Please help me decide (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/please-help-me-decide-13876/)

Mast3rShake 04-10-2008 05:10 PM

Please help me decide

I was set on buying a new 2008 Mazda3 5dr touring, but now I have heard about this 2008.5 and in the fall the new redesigned 2009's will be out so now i am not sure what to do. I don't know that much about the 2008.5 or the 2009 but here is what I do know (I think).

The 2009 will have more powerful engines and also direct injection which keeps feul efficiency down. They will also have more noise reducing material used (noise is a huge thing for me since i commute going ~70-80 mph 70 miles a day). Don't know anything about the so called 2008.5.

Another question is about the whistle noise made in the 2008 Mazda3's. I have read in these forums that when you go about 80 mph it is quite loud, and you can still hear it below 80. Is this true?

What would your advise be? Buy a 2008.5 Mazda3 with all the kinks worked out (if they are) or wait for the 2009's (will they be similarly priced?)? Please help me because this will be my first brand new car!!!

MikeMzda3 04-10-2008 07:48 PM

RE: Please help me decide

if it were me, i'd get the redesigned 2009 sedan. 20-30 more hp than the 2.3 liters and the fuel efficiency is supposed to be good. with gas prices going higher and higher, i dont think its in mazda's plan to kill the fuel efficiency of the 3's - so i wouldnt even really worry about that; im sure they're guna tune it pretty well.

you might be able to get a good deal on a 2008 though - its really all preference and how long you think you can wait for a new car..

even if you did get the 2.3 liter thats in the 2008, im sure ud be satisfied...i love my 2006 S 4 door. i guess it is a little noisy at highway sometimes - i don't really focus on it (im 21 and not super sensitive to that)...but what do you expect from a car thats costs around 18k? besides a few very small issues, these cars are fantastic and i'd consider getting another after i rack up 200k on this one.

a thorough test drive should help you decide

Lev 04-11-2008 08:19 PM

If it were up to me, I would wait for the 09. There are ups and downs to waiting though. You will get a better deal on an 08,but you will have the louder road noise and less powerful engine. If you get an 09, you get a brand new model with a bigger engine. The thing about first year models is that they tend to have new problems and get fixed in later years. I think you should wait until the 09's come out, test drive that, and an 08, and see which one you like better. Looking ata photo of what the 09 3 might look like,I'm not the biggest fan. It looks nice but it looks like a little CX-7. I like how the 3 doesn't look like the other mazdas except a bit like the 6, but now they have it looking like the other mainline mazdas.The 08 model and down are still distinctive cars that are great, and you will not be dissatisfied with your choice. Her's a link to the photo i looked at.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071016....on-speculation

Mast3rShake 04-12-2008 01:45 PM

it seems that the picture you posted is a photoshop. I have seen the spy photo of the new '09 sedan, and it looks almost like the '08, enough to not care about the exterior appearance.

what i am really worried about is the direct injection engine that is more powerful, and the more noise suppressing material used. this seems to be the major changes in the car, even if you can't notice it on the outside.

so again should i go 2008.5 or 2009? if i can't decide i may just end up getting a civic.[:@]

npoll212 04-13-2008 08:39 AM

dont get a civic, the mazda3 beats the civic in nearly every category. They are just as reliable, more powerfull, more stylish, better interiors, etc.... Civics are way too common anyhow

Lev 04-13-2008 09:44 AM

Get a civic. I don't wantto see 3'slike i see civics.

VB 04-13-2008 09:51 AM

You see so many Civics for three major reasons:

1: Price - Civics are cheap to buy, and to maintain.

2: Performance - The Civic has been leading the compact class in MPG for years now...

3: Reliability - It's a Honda. That's really all that needs to be said.

...granted, I'd rather have a 3.

chez120 04-13-2008 05:39 PM

I just got a 2008 M3 last week and I weighed the same questions you have before I made the purchase. I took an 08 out for a test drive and thought it drove the best out of the other cars I had looked at (civic, sentra, etc.). I also got a great deal on it because my dealer wanted to move it since it was a manual and not a 2008.5 model, so I got it for under invoice. Now, after driving it for about a week, all I want to do is drive it. No complaints. It has plenty of power, even when 3 of my buds are in the car with me and I just filled up today and got 28.5 mpg with about 70% city, 30% highway on my first tank.

UrbanmanUSA 04-13-2008 08:04 PM

First, I could be wrong, butI have not heardthat Mazda has absolutely confirmed the details of when, in what models, and for what engines, direct injection will be introduced. You could wait for 2009, and not get direct injection.

Lev makes an excellent point, new models and new technologies tend to have real world problems that all the engineering testing in the world cannot reveal ahead of time.Do you want to be a direct injection lab rat?

I have heard that best case, direct injection's potential is for a 12% fuel efficiency improvement (Mazda hype might be different, this is per independent articles I have read), meaning real world its fair to guess it will be something under 10%... which is big, great, but not exactly world changing ie. it won't give the Mazda 3 w/2.3 hybrid type economy by any means. If you want fuel economy, you'd probably be better off buyingan M3 w/2.0. Though, you cannot get the 2.0 with the 5 door.

Also considerMazda won't sell the cars with direct injection at a bargain price to begin with (presumably),so the fuel saving dollars could be largely offset by the increased purchase price.

You might getthe bestbargain by waiting for the 2009 to become available, and then bargaininghard for a2008.5thatis still on the lot.

virgin1 04-14-2008 02:37 PM

What worries me is all that prerssure in the fuel system. What happens when it begins to break down and you developa 1600psi fuel leak vs a 40psi one?

BTW: The MS3 (MS6 & CX7's too) have the DISI engine.