Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   paint rims on mazda 3 ? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/paint-rims-mazda-3-a-13306/)

mazda13 03-12-2008 03:30 PM

paint rims on mazda 3 ?

so i was thinking about painting my stock rims black instead of buying rims and tires because i like the stock rims. any suggestions.. will it look nice or turn out bad ?

virgin1 03-12-2008 03:47 PM

RE: paint rims on mazda 3 ?

It'll look great... till they start to chip.Everyone I know that's done this has to do frequent touch ups and redo's.
If you want your stock rims black, get them powdercoated, but that's costly too.

Just my .02.

VB 03-12-2008 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

It'll look great... till they start to chip. Everyone I know that's done this has to do frequent touch ups and redo's.
If you want your stock rims black, get them powdercoated, but that's costly too.

Just my .02.

And with all the money you'd pay for that, you could just get a nice set of 5 spoke black rims.

virgin1 03-12-2008 05:20 PM

He's right! I was thinking that too, but if the OE's is what you really want.....

SPeeDy3 03-12-2008 05:24 PM

i got mines painted.. not powdercoated.. and theyre BEAUTIFUL!!! ill deal with the chipping when it happens.. but yes it can be done. i was gonna put a link up to where i posted my pics, BUT FOR SOME REASON THE PICS ARNT SHOWING NEMORE!!! couldnt u ppl just dow size them instead of deleting them?!?!

2.0Mazda08 03-12-2008 06:46 PM

you can paint them your self with brake calliper paint, my buddy used it on his rims and it hasn't chipped or anything yet its been a year. Powder coat will cost you any where from 50-80$ per rim.

SPeeDy3 03-12-2008 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 2.0Mazda08

you can paint them your self with brake calliper paint, my buddy used it on his rims and it hasn't chipped or anything yet its been a year. Powder coat will cost you any where from 50-80$ per rim.
r u serious?????? itll cost way more than that bro..

icspots 03-12-2008 09:07 PM

I've heard quotes on many forums where people powdercoated their wheels for $50-80 per wheel... not so far out.

Painting wise your wheels will turn out just fine if (and this is the important part) you put in the time to adequately prepare the wheels. I know some people lightly scuff the wheels with sandpaper, others sand the hell out of them. Personally I think if I were going to do it I would want to actually strip the paint off of them with a wire wheel and/or chemical stripper and start from the metal. Think about it, the stock wheels are painted and they don't (usually) chip like crazy.

nickvw 03-12-2008 11:58 PM

id like to see pictures! black stock rims.hm

TGM_6 03-13-2008 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 2.0Mazda08

powdercoating is easily around $125+ dollars per rim... dunno where you found your prices. That price i mentioned is for a half-assed job though...