Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   New rims and TPMS (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/new-rims-tpms-21608/)

apbbnbanb_07 02-04-2010 09:39 PM

New rims and TPMS

If I were to purchase new rims, will the sensors from my stock rims work with most AM rims, or do I have to pay the $180 theyre gonna charge me?

virgin1 02-05-2010 04:28 AM

I'm not an expert, but I think and have heard that the TPMS sensors can be moved to new wheels. That may depend on a number of factors, such as where they could, or if they could be mounted inside the new wheel.
I think the OE sensors could be used?
Ask them to show you why they couldn't.

vlstellato 02-05-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07 (Post 103388)
If I were to purchase new rims, will the sensors from my stock rims work with most AM rims, or do I have to pay the $180 theyre gonna charge me?

You shouldn't have a problem, a friend of mine who is a service tech for a local garage said when the change out stock wheels to AM they do one at a time so the TMPS doesn't go in to fault mode. The only thing thats sucks is that you have to pay extra to remove the sensors from the stock wheels

Tracker 02-05-2010 04:50 PM

also you cannot get rims that are not over or undersized make sure you get the right size

virgin1 02-05-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 103413)
also you cannot get rims that are over or undersized. make sure you get the right size

Please explain?
Do you mean: A new size (larger or smaller in diameter) would affect the stationary sensor location and therefore would have to be moved either inward or outward of the OE mounting point to compensate?
Is it possible that different sensor locations are built in from the factory to accommodate 16", 17" or 18" wheels?

apbbnbanb_07 02-05-2010 08:21 PM

I planned on it, I would like to keep the tires I have now seeing as they are fairly new, and I would rather have the stock size anyway.

Tracker 02-06-2010 10:26 AM

sorry what i ment was getting a size bigger or smaller than what is offered from oem, going below 16in may cause problems as well as going bigger than 18.

Mark56 02-07-2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by vlstellato (Post 103402)
You shouldn't have a problem, a friend of mine who is a service tech for a local garage said when the change out stock wheels to AM they do one at a time so the TMPS doesn't go in to fault mode. The only thing thats sucks is that you have to pay extra to remove the sensors from the stock wheels

I just had new tires put on my OEM rims and the tire shop was telling me that to be on the "safe" side, they needed to remove the sensors to avoid damage. This meant that they wanted to sell me a new seal kit for the sensor at $15/rim. The guy looked and they didn't have the right part for my car so it was a non-issue, I think it was a plot to get a few more bucks out of me. Later when I thought more about it, how the heck could you put the sensor back on AFTER the tire was mounted, or remove it BEFORE you removed the old tire?? It's inside the tire---- maybe I misunderstood what the heck they intended to do.............

apbbnbanb_07 02-08-2010 07:59 PM

I think it's safe to say they were trying to hose you. I live in a town of less than 2000 people and I had my tires put on at a rinky dink farm tire shop.

No problem with the sensors, though they tend to break them occasionally the shop should pay for it.