Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Mazdaspeed 3 - Motor Oil (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/mazdaspeed-3-motor-oil-7757/)

blackdiamond 04-12-2007 02:01 AM

Mazdaspeed 3 - Motor Oil

The owners manual requires 5w-30 API Certified SM oil. I had the oil changed at 750 miles with dealer provided Quaker State conventional, but am planning to go synthetic about the 5,000 mile mark. Right now I am leaning towards Mobil 1, but may change my mind later.

I would love to run an oil like Royal Purple (purple), Redline (red) or German Castrol (green)that have a distinct color to distinguish the oil I take in with the dealer bulk oil. The problem is that Royal Purple is only SL rated, Redline isn't API Certified and German Castrol doesn't come in 5w-30.

What are you running currently and what is your plan for the future?

UrbanmanUSA 04-12-2007 02:44 AM

RE: Mazdaspeed 3 - Motor Oil

I'm running 5w30 conventional (Castrol), and plan to continue with 5w30 conventional.

Whether it will be Castrol, or some other premium brand name, I'm not sure.

The link below may be of interest. I'm not an Amsoil user, and never have been, and of course its their site, so they blow their own horn quite loudly, but the site does havesome interesting reading.

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/

iflyducati 04-12-2007 08:29 AM

I've used amsoil for years in my Ducati and it has been riden pretty hard without problems. Amsoil is another quality oil. Another option.

virgin1 04-12-2007 08:54 AM

Good link, Urbanman. Arguably, AMSOil has long been the standard in racing motor oils. That's a hard rep to argue with.
But when adding in excise tax (in my state, and additionally subject tosales tax,) state sales tax (8.25%,) freight (also subject to sales tax in some states???,) & freight surcharges (Alaska,) it is also quite expensive. That all could easily add up toover $12/quart- $48+ for oil alone. (An educated guess based on the figures given on their website.) I don't mind paying my taxes, but taxes on top of taxes on top of taxes...?? 'Don't know about that one.

Is it worth it for a street car? (A rhetorical and personal question.)

elh0102 04-12-2007 09:53 AM

I think most of us get too anal about oil. The important thing is maintaining fresh, quality oil of the correct viscosity range. I have used Mobil 1 in a Porschein which I do track schools; it's what came in it from the factory, and it is good stuff. For really high temp use, as track, I believe the advantage of synthetic oil is well proven. For typical street use, and assuming it is changed with sufficient frequency, I don't think there is much advantage, but it sure can't hurt, especially with the higher temp created by the turbo.

virgin1 04-12-2007 10:04 AM

I too use Mobil1 5w-30, but because it's relatively easy to get, will not rape your wallet and as you say, it can't hurt. Plus, I only have to change it once every 8K miles (w/a filter change/top offinbetween) instead of 3-5K. That helps pay the extra cost.
I am hoping it provides a bit more protection upon startup than mineral based oils do. I still wait for oil temp before flogging the car though. I short shift and try to keep it below 3K for the first 4-5 miles.

iflyducati 04-12-2007 11:00 AM

I have to agree, for street use using a recognized brand and a good filter will provide all the protection you'll need. I've used Mobile 1 in my last vehicle and loved it. My take is this. If you're keeping the car until it dies then use the best oil you can and keep it clean. If you know in 2-4 years you'll be getting a different car then use a standard oil and change it at intervals close to the recommendation. I mean if you drive mostly freeways you should have no problems changing the oil every 4-5k miles if you drive stop and go and push your car in the twists with frequent redlines change more frequently. Just my opinion.

blackdiamond 04-12-2007 12:09 PM

Amsoil only had one oil line (XL) that is API certified and it is a "blend" oil. I also read a test where the Amsoil product went from a 5w-30 to a 15w-40 duirng its 14,000 miles of use. The still passed analysis, but was killing fuel mileage.

I would probably just run what the dealer puts in but I want to stay as consistant as possible during the life of the engine and I know the dealer will switch product based on what they get the best deal on. They are currently using Quaker State but advertise using Castrol. There are tests showing that the most wear happens right after an oil change when the "oil film" is disturbed. I think that part of this could be a result ofchanging add packs so I want to maintain the same oil as much as possible. I know that the formulation of any brand can change, but...

virgin1 04-12-2007 12:23 PM

For years "they've" been saying that the most wear happens during startupand before the oil temp is up, but the oil pressure is.
I've never heard about a disturbed oil film??? 'Got a link?

Draconius 04-12-2007 01:58 PM

I am switching to synthetic soon because I have seen oil pans and valve covers of dino oil. With today's oils you don't need to change at 3,000 miles anymore. The dealerships/stores say you do because that makes them more money since people will be coming back more frequently for oil changes. As long as you keep an eye on your oil (level and color) you can take dino to like 6-7K and synthetic to 9-12k.

I prefer Synthetic to dino after seeing what dino does to your motor.