Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   mazda 17" rims (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/mazda-17%22-rims-7166/)

guyrelax 03-09-2007 11:38 AM

mazda 17" rims

hello all

i just purchased an 05 mazda 3i and i'd like to put some 17x7 rims on it. I've never done this on a car and want to make sure i get the right ones. I'm not sure if the offset and bolt pattern can be flexible and if so, how much. I know its 114.3 bolt pattern. I forget the offset. Once I buy the rims and tires, will it cost me anything more to have them put on the car (besides just mounting)? I've read things about spacers?

any help is greatly appreciated

eastcoaster 03-09-2007 04:03 PM

RE: mazda 17" rims

Go to Tirerack.com and check out 17". I got some nice 6 spoke rims and tires for a great price. they will ship to your house or business. I had mine sent to my office and mounted them myself in the parking lot. I got 4 wheels and tires for about $1000.00

sstlaure 03-09-2007 04:27 PM

I'm running 17x7 w/60mm offset (Mazda6 wheels), I'd recommend an offset in the 48mm range for a 17x7 for the best fit. You wouldn't need to run spacers with that set-up (my front tires rub @ full steering lock @ 3 o'clock position...going 48mm would eliminate that.) Anything in the 45-60mm offset range would work in a 7" wide wheel.

dentinger 03-09-2007 05:47 PM

im buying 18 inch rims for my mazda 3, what would be the best size and offset to get??

sstlaure 03-09-2007 11:18 PM

If 7" wide, the above recommendations would be the same. I've been told the biggest recommended is 18x7.5 w/52.5mm offset. Although I've seen people running the 18x8 RX-8 wheels (not sure the offset of those, but I've got a set that will go on my car once my wife wears down the stock RX-8 tires on her 6.)

dentinger 03-10-2007 01:49 PM

so if i buy a 18x7.5 inch rim, what is the best tire size to buy??

MikeMS3 03-10-2007 08:55 PM

Internet packages have to be mounted , balanced and possible an alingnment. I've been on the side lines watching two people told that they're new set could be put on but they'd be horrible riding, they destroy (wear quikly) the tires and such. Just know that the are'nt always balanced. The one set i witnessed had the same size weigh every third around the tire.............. Um duh...... So watch out and if the guy who got them, put them on and was keen at work,cool beans. If he's had no prob and they are wearing fine, i'd go with the company he did, cause other than that, you never know.

ALingments and such are a sore spot with me. no one is ever honest cause they can bend you over and yuou won't know it untill you need to pay more cash. And you may never realize they are the problem. My suggestion is stick with Mazda. I've even crossed off our local shops. Bonebrake used to be good, the old man retired and the son is in charge, they are'nt good anymore.

Just be carefull. And do'nt automatically expect them to be ready to go. Hate to be a nay sayer but, i've had to many issues in that area and to much wasted money to go silent.

dentinger 03-10-2007 09:01 PM

i can do the balancing and alignment (if i have to) at canadian, where i do my co-op...
but mazda rims are going to cost me ALOT... the stock mazda 3 17's snowflake rims cost about $400 a piece. and thats just the rims....
i can get brand new Konigs for that price...
i'll most likely just find some nice rims on ebay, then mount them and everything else here.

dentinger 03-10-2007 09:24 PM

i live in canada, and when i do a search on ebay.ca, i find next to nothing, (like, 30 results) and when i search ebay.com, i find thousands of results.
so my question is, is there anyway to get out of paying duty, and customs when it comes across the border?? like, someone told me i can ship it to niagara falls, drive down there, and mount them, then bring them back up with me...

sstlaure 03-11-2007 11:25 PM

Buy the rims used...If you want 17x7, look for stock Mazda6 wheels, they work great and I've seen plenty of sets for sale.