Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Jumping revs (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/jumping-revs-25518/)

shipo 02-04-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lev (Post 115871)
I was told by a friend that it may be my fuel filter. Is that a possibility?

Virtually impossible unless you have, at the very minimum, 200,000 miles on your car and/or you spend 95% of your time driving across a dusty desert.

virgin1 02-04-2011 01:55 PM

That sounds like its been too long, Lev.
I don't really have any proof of this, but from what I understand (have read/is believed by others) the ECU should be completely back to normal after about 100 miles.

I'm not so sure Motorcraft was your best choice either.

Lev 02-12-2011 07:19 PM

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have a friend that use to be a mechanic at Honda and is good with cars checking it out tomorrow.

ggsumo 02-12-2011 08:34 PM

Lev - my Ford Cougar does the same it seems common on Fords and now Mazda's by the sounds of it.

Normal causes highlighted as:
Air Idle Valve (assume the Mazda has one)
Air Leak after MAff
Wrong / poorly gapped plugs
Damaged plug leads (possible as this may only show when you've taken them off to change plugs)
Lamda Sensors

Hope you get it solved

Lev 02-16-2011 11:43 AM

It just frustrates me when it stalls. I'm also noticing a drop in MPG. I'm barely making 280 miles on a full tank and that's with me driving conservatively. Mainly 55mph highway. In warm weather I'm use to getting 320 miles on a tank and 300 in cold weather. That's with me driving with a heavy foot too. I'm getting agitated that something as simple as changing the spark plugs can cause such a mess like this.

Lev 02-21-2011 02:16 PM

Back to normal

On Friday I was bored and wanted to play around with my headlights. I was changing the colors so i can see the effect on my cut-off color. I have 4300k-8000k bulbs. The 8k had the best cut-off color but the worst output. I did a bit of turning the car on and off and driving around to see the reflection. On cold mornings my car would usually start with a high rev and slowly make its way down. Since the jumping revs incident, it would go high and then immediately go down. On Saturday morning I noticed it started high and stayed high, until it warmed up. As I drove it, THE REVS STOPPED JUMPING!!!!!!!!! The car is back to normal. No stalling, no shaking, NO JUMPING!!!! The only thing jumping is me with joy! I'm not complaining but WTF!

ggsumo 02-21-2011 07:33 PM

Did you have your battery disconected whilst working on the lights? If so you may find the ECU has reset and is in learning mode and the problem may return. Hopefully not though and it was just a glitch

Lev 02-23-2011 10:08 PM

I kept the battery connected. I guess because of her age, she's getting Alzheimer's, and it takes her a while to remember. I'm just glad it's over, and she's back to normal. Thanks for all the input everyone

ggsumo 02-24-2011 04:09 PM

great news Lev

virgin1 02-24-2011 06:07 PM

I'll second that.

And sorry for being so aloof. Been a lot going on personally lately and my desktop has been out for $200+ of repairs after downloading a very nasty virus.
I'm still on this stupid Netbook which is a PITA, but will get the DT up by this w/e, I'm sure.