Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Hood struts (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/hood-struts-13888/)

EthereaL 04-11-2008 03:08 PM

Hood struts

I'm hoping that some of you have installed this mod because I have been searching the web for a while now to see if any vender has created a part for the hood. Anyway,I was wondering if you guys have done this to your hood. If so can you send me the part number, or what to order, so I can order these. A.S.A.P. then that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

icspots 04-11-2008 06:40 PM

RE: Hood struts

http://www.redlinetuning.com/

Siber Express 04-11-2008 10:57 PM

Virgin1 did it on his [8D]

virgin1 04-12-2008 07:25 AM

Yes, I did. I like it, but be sure to carefully protect any painted surface around where you'd be drilling and riveting first. When I caught on, I used several layers of electrical tape to protect painted edges... like the back of the hood, etc... One slip and you got a ding that you'll need to repair.

virgin1 04-19-2008 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6812

icspots 04-19-2008 01:14 PM

These are something that while I would love to put on my car I just can't really justify the cost. Especially with a baby on the way.

EthereaL 04-19-2008 02:01 PM

haha i know what you mean, i'm not economically inclined to build a car yet, but i'm doing whatever i can to do anything to my car. I'm working at the bank though so for sure i'm going to be dropping a lot of money on my car.

EthereaL 04-19-2008 02:05 PM

sexy strut bar ;) how much did you get that for?

virgin1 04-19-2008 07:52 PM

At the time, they were around $65 shipped. They have since gone up a bit.Think I bought it from Never Enough and that was over a year ago.

And Spots, I know what you mean, but there is just no substitute for raising and lowering the hood w/ONE HAND!!! I now sometimes do itjust cause I can.What others take for granted, I've been missing foryears.
I'vedealt w/strut rods for many years on many different vehicles and the honeymoon is definitely over for me.

2.0Mazda08 04-19-2008 08:59 PM

that strut bar is nice ...i considered the hood struts too till the drilling part came in. Seems like your slacking on keeping your engine bay clean virgin and where did your engine cover go:D

virgin1 04-19-2008 09:12 PM

That pic is from a while ago. I just did the engine compartment and it is clean again.
The engine cover delete was the second mod I did, after the rear headrest delete. I hate thoseuseless things.

1. The hood protects the engine from the elementsabove.That'sone of it's priomary jobs.
2. When I open my hood, I expect to SEE the engine, not some stupid f***ing piece of plastic.
3.W/that cover onit looks like I'm driving an electric car. They have their place too, and I am not opposed to them, but my car run on gas-o-line.

I've hated plastic engine covers since my former Bro-In-Law (the asshole that he was) bought a Mercedes back in the late '70's w/the first one I ever saw. I thought it was dumb then, and still do.

2.0Mazda08 04-19-2008 09:30 PM

lol one of my buddies is like that too. He has a ES 300 or used to have it i haven't heard from him in a long ass time. The hole engine was covered with lexus's cover. The cover was nice but he liked to see all the wires and spark plugs and what not he hated anything plastic under the hood. Last time i saw the car it was on dueces with 4 12's in the back and chromed out engine....BLING BLING!
Will your plastic cover fit on my sedan i'll buy it from you if it does. I want to try to paint mine but don't want to mess mine up.

virgin1 04-19-2008 09:38 PM

Nope! They changed them to a smaller onein '06.I believe the dipstick and oil filler hole are in slightly different places too.Yours may even be different from those, but I don't think they are.

eastcoaster 04-20-2008 04:59 PM

ya were is the engine cover?
I want these but dont want to spend the money.
[align=left] [/align]

virgin1 04-20-2008 05:08 PM

Around $70!! That isn't TOO bad.