Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Help Installing Subs in a 2004 mazda 3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/help-installing-subs-2004-mazda-3-a-17209/)

Paully33 01-16-2009 05:58 PM

Help Installing Subs in a 2004 mazda 3

I recently just bought a mazda 3 and im a little nervou about pulling everything apart in the front to connect the rca cables. Any decet suggestions to how I should come upon doing this?

Thx

apbbnbanb_07 01-16-2009 07:08 PM

RE: Help Installing Subs in a 2004 mazda 3

Most likely you do not have the RCA connections on your HU, as I know of none of the 3's do. I've heard the best way is to run your inputs for your subs from the rear speakers.
If you have and AM HU it's nothing special to pull it out.

After you carefully pull off the shiny piece of trim running across the dash its pretty self explanitory.
Three screws and it pulls right out. Though be carefull with the LCD display of the stock unit, kinda fragile.

jaimie08mazda3 01-16-2009 10:17 PM

RE: Help Installing Subs in a 2004 mazda 3

first question. is your Head unit a stock one or aftermarket. if it isnt aftermarket then its useless to take it out. let me know and if youd like i will give you step by step process on how to install the subs with the stock head unit.

Paully33 01-20-2009 07:59 AM

RE:HelpInstallingSubsina2004mazda3

it is the stock head unit. im completly clueless as of what to do. i did it no prob in my forrester but this cars setup is delicate.

jaimie08mazda3 01-20-2009 10:38 AM

RE: RE:HelpInstallingSubsina2004mazda3

alright here is how it works. since you are using your stock head unit you cannot put RCA's into it due to the fact they do not come with it. What you have to do wire your subs up through the rear speakers. you have to take off both your rear door panel's and you will find two wires that are white and purple that are connected to the speakers. cut them and with another piece of wiring, attach from both sides to the wiring so it sends a signal to the amp when you hook it up. now you may want to crimp them otherwise it could fall out, then you take those wires and send it through to the trunk and you get what is called a LOC (line output converter) and you send the wires from both doors to this convertor. you put those wires together then you can put the RCA's into the amp from the LOC, then what you will need to do is get a power wire and from the trunk all the way to the battery *there is an opening in the engine firewall near the passenger's feet*. then you install your Remote Wire which is quite easy, I used the cigarette lighter fuse which can be found right under the glove box. and finally your ground wire. this to me worked out really well. i used my Jackstand as a ground wire and it has worked really well so far. and then the last step is to connect everything and then you will have yourself a sound system. currently i am running 4 10"s on a 1200 W american legacy amp. and its still going. i did it all myself to

'

Paully33 01-20-2009 11:07 AM

wow thx man thats really helpful. will this effect the sub sound quality?

jaimie08mazda3 01-20-2009 11:31 AM

yes, granted it wont sound as good as if you put a deck in but with the 2 10" clarion PXW1052's and a clarion DPX2251 650 W amp i managed to hit 140.1 decibles. its a huge improvement for sure.

Paully33 01-20-2009 03:01 PM

True well Im going to have to go get the adapter and everything. I plan on doing it tonight so i might pot something saying "i messed up" but hopefully not thx again

jaimie08mazda3 01-20-2009 04:01 PM

let me know how you make out and if need be i can help you with anything.

Paully33 01-26-2009 06:54 AM

okay so i set everything up. I get power to the truck but i just bought a new kicker 300.1 amp and when i hook the copasator to the amp i get the red light for about 2 seconds then it shuts off. But my protection light is on. I have the 2 subs with the 2 sets of wire connecting to the subs its self. Im unsure where to connect there wires on my amp and why the amps light only comes on for only a couple seconds. Ne suggestions?