Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Rear Wing Spoiler Swindle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 PM
LPG
Default Rear Wing Spoiler Swindle

Hi:
Need a little advice about what i should do.
This is my first Mazda purchase and so far it hasnt been a good or smooth one.
I went to a brand new dealership that just opened up by my home
I purchased a White 2009 Mazda 3 Touring With a Rear Wing Spoiler.
My salesperson wrote up the paperwork.
The car took about 1 month to get because it had to be shipped from Japan (or so they said)
So on 11-24-08 i went to pick up my New Car, but i noticed that it did not have the spoiler on it.
So i asked my Salesperson where the spoiler was, and they told me they had to order it, it would take a week to get it
and then they would install it.The salespersontold me he would give me a "we owe" which i guess is like an I.O.U for the spoiler.
I felt apprehensive driving off the lot with the car not being exactly what i signed on for, butthe salespersonassured me they would issue
the "we owe" through the general manager.
So i said fine. Just to be on the safe sidehours later after picking up the car, i called the dealership and spoke to the general manager to bring the situation to his attention. Miraculously, he said he wasnt aware of the fact that a spoiler was included in the deal, and said he would not honor the request.
So i was wondering what course of action people reading this would suggest taking.
When the bill of sale was being written up i had recorded the transaction on my cell phone. The salesperson can be heard asking me whether i wanted a rear wing or rear lip spoiler and me telling them i wanted a ring wing spoiler. That coupled with the fact that my mom was with me when the bill of sale was written up and is witness to the fact That the spoiler was part of the deal. If the salesperson made a blunder and promised the spoiler in the deal and then forgot to enter it into the equation, do i have a course of action on this front also?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Rear Wing Spoiler Swindle

I think it's a matter of the legal paperwork that was signed.

Was the spoiler (or the cost of one) added to your invoice?

Did the salesman say he was giving it to you for free or that he was adding it to the invoice?

If he said you got it for free (added as incentive at no cost), then it's a matter of what thecontract says. Verbal agreements aren't legally binding, precisely because different people can interpret the agreement differently with no written record of exactly what the deal was.

If you just wanted it added to the order (at the going price for the option) and it didn't get added and you didn't pay....get it if you still want to spend the money.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 AM

I'm sorry about your dilemma, LPG.

What the salesperson called a"we owe" is more commonly referred to as a "due bill," which would list any pending item(s) included with the sale of the vehicle and indicates the date the dealership"promises" to deliver/complete the installation ofthe pending item(s). The due bill should have been issued to you in conjunction with your contract/bill of sale, so the salesperson should have given it to you before the vehicle left the lot.

I agree with sstlaure that it would probably come down to what is stipulated in the contract/bill of sale. If the spoileris a feature/option that you paid for and is listed in your paperwork, then the dealership is required to install it. If it is a no-cost purchase incentive "thrown in" by the salesperson, it still should have been listed in your paperwork at zero cost. If there is no mention of the item in question in your documents, I'm not sure if there's any recourse.

Have you spoken to the salesperson after you've had the conversation with the general manager? Regardless of whether theommission of the spoiler on your contract/bill of sale was inadvertent or not, it was the salesperson's error, so he should provide clarification and be involved in providing a resolution. At the very least, the dealership should offer you a discount on the purchase and installation of the spoiler for all the inconvenience to you. Not only is it fair, it is a small cost to them to ensure your satisfaction as a customer. I hope that it all works out in the end toyour favor.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 AM

Unless you have it included in the written contract, you are out of gas.
If that particular spoiler is just what you want, do yourself a favor, take your car to a different mazda dealership,buy it there,and have them install it.
Don't insult your self by giving this dealership another cent of your money.
Take your business to another dealership who may be more deserving of your business.
Good luck, and post some pics when you get it installed.
Bob.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that you should talk to the salesperson. When I bought mine I included an auto-dimming mirror which at the time I picked up the car was out of stock. They gave me a "We Owe" paper and I came back two weeks later when they got it in and it was installed. I didn't have a single problem with it.