Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Handbrake Fail Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Default Handbrake Fail Advice

Hi,

I have a 2015 Mazda 3, brought 2 weeks a go from a Bristol Street Motors dealer.

Whilst parked on a friends driveway I've had what I believe to be a handbrake failure which has resulted in a dent to the back bumper.

I have rang the dealer who will assess the handbrake and if there is a fault they will repair the bumper. If they find no fault I will obviously need to foot the bill. Does anyone know roughly how much this would be? The car is white and has reversing sensors.

With regards to the handbrake, the driveway is only on a sligh slope which holds my friends Fiesta (2007) on 2 clicks of his handbrake. I have since tested the Mazda and it is taking 6 clicks before the car stops rolling. Does this sound correct to anyone? As I've said, it's only a sligh slope and the handbrake would onyl go up one more click once it had rolled down the drive initially.

Any advice on this would be great.

Cheers.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Parking brake lever stroke when pulled at 98 N {10 kgf, 22 lbf}
L.H.D. (Type A): 3—4 notches

Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Don't rely on the number of clicks the handbrake makes when you pull it up, and especially don't rely on comparing one car's brake position to a different car. If nothing else the mazda 3 is heavier than a fiesta so that would impact things. Even between several Mz3's the brake could behave differently depending on the wear on the brakes and the tension on the cable. Pull your brake up with a single forceful pull when you place it on. It shouldn't be so high you need two hands to release it (though it is possible to pull it that high). Pulling only a couple of clicks could get the brakes to "engage" but not actually place any force on the rotors.

Question. Are you driving an automatic or a manual transmission? If a manual did you leave it in gear or in neutral?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Default Curious

Did the company take responsibility in the end?
Just had the police knock the door because my partners mazda 3 rolled off the sloped parking bay into the car parked across the road... handbrake was on!
Feeling a bit bewildered but need advice.
Cheers

Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Default Handbrake fails in Australia

I'm trying to gind more people in Australia that have had a Handbrake fail in the 2015-2016 Mazda 3. We recently had our car roll into another car due to the handbrake failing. I have been doing some research and found out that this model is being recalled in the usa due to a shaft in the calipers that can become corroded and cause failure. Mazda Australia are saying this is the first case that they have had reported in Australia and the dealer tested the brakes and said they were not faulty, when we mentioned the recall he said it only applied to electronic handbrakes wich is incorrect because i have contacted a Mazda service manager in the USA and was told the recall is for the cable type brake.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 PM

You guys do park it in 2nd gear before applying the handbrake, correct??

Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 PM

Hi Matt73. I have a 2011 BL series Mazda 3 with the L/H caliper not working when the handbrake is applied. Mazda were going to charge me $1185.00 for a new one or $450.00 for a reconditioned caliper. This is after I got Mazda Australia to replace both of them 4 years ago when the car had 110000 km on the clock for the same defect.
I heard that winding the piston in (as you do when replacing the pads) might reset the handbreak mechanism, and this procedure actually worked for me. The L/H caliper now works fine when the handbrake is applied.
During the piston winding in procedure, I also noted that the handbrake cable on the L/H side was incorrectly routed, it was on the wrong side of the lower control arm bracket, so this may have also contributed to the issue.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:23 AM
tco

Originally Posted by Matt73
I'm trying to gind more people in Australia that have had a Handbrake fail in the 2015-2016 Mazda 3. We recently had our car roll into another car due to the handbrake failing. I have been doing some research and found out that this model is being recalled in the usa due to a shaft in the calipers that can become corroded and cause failure. Mazda Australia are saying this is the first case that they have had reported in Australia and the dealer tested the brakes and said they were not faulty, when we mentioned the recall he said it only applied to electronic handbrakes wich is incorrect because i have contacted a Mazda service manager in the USA and was told the recall is for the cable type brake.
Hi Matt73, I am one of of those people. Bought Mazda 3 Maxx sedan manual 2015 brand new. Hand nothing but issues with the handbrake, exactly as described by you. I can't leave it on a slightest slope. Went once to Costco for tyre repair, and the guy said "what's wrong with your handbrake". There is no grip at all. Pulled all the way. It is so frustrating not to mention dangerous. Had my mechanic change calipers. Like you, googled and saw that these models were recalled in the US but was told here that they don't recall it if there isn't enough complaints. I have spent so much money fixing a new car.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:23 PM
tco

Originally Posted by SOC001
Hi Matt73. I have a 2011 BL series Mazda 3 with the L/H caliper not working when the handbrake is applied. Mazda were going to charge me $1185.00 for a new one or $450.00 for a reconditioned caliper. This is after I got Mazda Australia to replace both of them 4 years ago when the car had 110000 km on the clock for the same defect.
I heard that winding the piston in (as you do when replacing the pads) might reset the handbreak mechanism, and this procedure actually worked for me. The L/H caliper now works fine when the handbrake is applied.
During the piston winding in procedure, I also noted that the handbrake cable on the L/H side was incorrectly routed, it was on the wrong side of the lower control arm bracket, so this may have also contributed to the issue.
Hi, I had my mechanic change my calipers but I'm still having the issue all the time. I will show him your message and get him to try it. I'd love to fix the issue. It is so frustrating and dangerous. Mine is 2015 model, bought brand new