Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Front wheel bearing life expectancy? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/front-wheel-bearing-life-expectancy-39106/)

DRHRSH 11-12-2017 09:11 AM

Front wheel bearing life expectancy?

Hey, my first post! I am rebuilding a 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback for my granddaughter. I am replacing the engine at 100k with one that has 30k. This required removing the CV axles, etc. My question is should I replace the front wheel bearings? Now would be the time to do it but if folks are getting 200k on them with no problems then I won’t. Thank you!

grim_reaper 11-13-2017 03:08 AM

Not a common issue. Spin the wheels, listen & feel for any roughness. Otherwise, leave them alone.

voyageur 08-23-2020 01:38 PM

front wheel bearing failure at 120k km

We had noise from bearings at 2 years and increasing noise and worrying vibration at 120,000 km . Replacement of both sides cost $1000. It seems this is bad design if we should be replacing sealed for life wheel bearings every two years, more often than tires.

Callisto 08-23-2020 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by voyageur (Post 186771)
We had noise from bearings at 2 years and increasing noise and worrying vibration at 120,000 km . Replacement of both sides cost $1000. It seems this is bad design if we should be replacing sealed for life wheel bearings every two years, more often than tires.

LOL It is not a design in anyway what-so-ever.LOL Go read the thread you started and hold the "sour grapes" on other threads until you get more information about your vehicle state of suspension health! ! lol

voyageur 08-23-2020 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto (Post 186778)
LOL It is not a design in anyway what-so-ever.LOL Go read the thread you started and hold the "sour grapes" on other threads until you get more information about your vehicle state of suspension health! ! lol

Your reply is cryptic and my suspension is perfect in all other respects. Having owned ten vehicles which have gone past 160 000 km and only one has had a single bearing failure; I find it extraordinary that this vehicle should have dual front failure showing at about 75 000 km. If anyoneelse is following this, The relevant question is how many miles are most mazda 3 owners getting on their vehicles before having to replace the front wheel bearings. I would be pleased to hear from others on this.

Callisto 08-23-2020 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by voyageur (Post 186790)
Your reply is cryptic and my suspension is perfect in all other respects. Having owned ten vehicles which have gone past 160 000 km and only one has had a single bearing failure; I find it extraordinary that this vehicle should have dual front failure showing at about 75 000 km. If anyoneelse is following this, The relevant question is how many miles are most mazda 3 owners getting on their vehicles before having to replace the front wheel bearings. I would be pleased to hear from others on this.

I seldom quote members when responding unless they just get ridicules IMHO with there posted information! ;) LOL

cryptic? Ok how this You MAZDA front end is NOT engineered badly! Clear enough ? LOL
How would you possibly know about the the other suspension aspect of your MAZDA when you come off with a statement of something badly engineered. LOL

Ok so relevant :rolleyes: question can not be answered accurately from most members given that there is no evidence by reports of TSB (that is Technical Service Bulletins) or other paid service superscription to service advisory and I can tell you in the last say 3 years working on customers MAZDA there has been no unusual front premature bearing failure and not to mention again the front end and the complete MAZDA chassis was engineered for improved handling and long time service life! I think I would know if there was a problem having worked on customers MAZDA 5x(actually much more but I want to keep it real LOL ) the number of vehicles you have owned and never once saw a problem with the engineered front suspension of MAZDA causing any premature front hub/bearing wear. I also aligned so many MAZDAs I know exactly which of my tools to have ready when doing them. LOL

Hey don't worry though , ya see we also have a resident MAZDA Service Technician with years experience that will be on this thread soon and will post what I am sure is the same information I have been trying to tell YA! ;)

Really voyageur;186790 are you just trying to find someone that will agree with you? You said yourself you notice a problem and continued to drive until the condition got so bad cha-ching, and you paid $$$$ the labor to get it serviced ? Who really knows how you drove your MAZDA and under what and all conditions of use? LOL

EDITED UPDATE

I had to edit this response because I found this on another thread you posted today? WTFrick dude? ROLMAO.. Gee I wonder why the bearing failed?

Originally Posted by voyageur (Post 186792)
Thank you for your intelligent reasoned and insightful reply. I considered what you said about road condition; I had been commuting over several miles of roadway reconstruction which had numerous 1 inch thick steel plates on it and poor ashphalt transitions prior to the onset of the bearing noise. I switched to a longer smoother route to work. The bearing noise was bothersome to me. Three mechanics said "you can`t expect an old car to be quiet like new" After two years of annoyance, The bearings started making a lot more noise and I found a mechanic who took it seriously. It is quiet like new again.

:eek: :rolleyes: LOL

grim_reaper 08-24-2020 02:42 AM

So many factors influence wheel bearing life.

Pot holes & road conditions are just two.

Most cars car go their entire life without requiring new wheel bearings.
it's like human beings, some people get cancer, some don't. Some people need transplants or joint replacement, some don't.