Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Factory paint mismatch on plastic parts (2016 model)? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/factory-paint-mismatch-plastic-parts-2016-model-36747/)

platfinger 04-19-2016 06:46 PM

Factory paint mismatch on plastic parts (2016 model)?

Hi, new to this forum as I am a first-time shopper for a Mazda3.

My question is this...
I was shopping for a 2016 Mazda 3 today and about 90% of the Sport trim models on the lot had mismatch in the paint color between the plastic parts and the metal body. The plastic is the entire front end (area below the "gap" of the metal hood) on both the hatchback and the sedans, and the rear spoiler on the hatchback. On all of the higher trims that I looked at, the paint was a spot-on match.

I was not sure if it was an issue with fading while on the lot or it came from the factory that way, UNTIL the salesman pulled one off of the transport that just came in and I even helped him unwrap the vehicle, and low-and-behold definite color mismatch on both the spoiler and the front of the vehicle vs. the rest (metal) of the vehicle.

Has anybody else noticed this or if this is a known issue?

Thanks,

Barry

Sparky202 04-19-2016 08:25 PM

Interesting find. I've always known in the back of my mind that paint adhered and dried differently on metal vs plastic, but never really looked at it that hard. I will chat with our body shop manager and a higher up seed in the Mazda chain to see if they can give me some answers.

shipo 04-20-2016 08:26 AM

By "Sport" models, are you referring to the Mazda3 i Sport?

If so, it is my understanding those models are now being built in the new Mexico factory while the Mazda3 s Touring and Grand Touring models are being built in Japan. As for the Mazda3 i Touring and Grand Touring, I've heard conflicting reports regarding where they're built.

Long story short, I wonder if the Mexico factory is having a QC problem with paint matching on the plastic bits.

platfinger 04-20-2016 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 157679)

Correct, the "i Sport". The color difference is minor and many people wouldn't notice it immediately. In all cases, the plastic parts are about one shade more orange and lighter in color when compared to the metal.

shipo 04-20-2016 10:49 AM

Just curious, did you happen to notice a similar color mismatch issue on higher trim levels of the Mazda3s on the lot?

platfinger 04-20-2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 157682)
Just curious, did you happen to notice a similar color mismatch issue on higher trim levels of the Mazda3s on the lot?

From OP: On all of the higher trims that I looked at, the paint was a spot-on match.

shipo 04-20-2016 03:13 PM

Thanks, good to know, I wouldn't be happy if our new car came in with mismatched paint.

Sparky202 04-20-2016 06:45 PM

Thanks a lot. Caught myself wandering around the lot like a idiot this afternoon looking at bumper paint.

I did put a call in to Mazda to see if they were aware of this concern. Soon as I hear something I'll update.

lorddoomicus 04-21-2016 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 157679)

As for the Mazda3 i Touring and Grand Touring, I've heard conflicting reports regarding where they're built.

Not two weeks ago, I bought a 2016 3 i Touring ( with manual and the popular options package ). The window sticker indicates that it's a pretty pure bread Japanese car:

Parts Content: Japan: 95%

Final Assembly: Hofu Japan
Country of Origin:
Engine: Japan
Transmission: Japan

Paint matches perfectly on all panels.

shipo 04-21-2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by lorddoomicus (Post 157703)
Not two weeks ago, I bought a 2016 3 i Touring ( with manual and the popular options package ). The window sticker indicates that it's a pretty pure bread Japanese car:

Parts Content: Japan: 95%

Final Assembly: Hofu Japan
Country of Origin:
Engine: Japan
Transmission: Japan

Paint matches perfectly on all panels.

Thanks for the feedback, your information for the most part matches up with what I've heard; I've heard from only two sources which have said Mazda3 i Touring models come from Salamanca, Mexico, all the rest say Hofu, Yamaguchi, Japan.