Electrical issues at 36k Miles - power cutting out - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda3
Reload this Page >

Electrical issues at 36k Miles - power cutting out

Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Electrical issues at 36k Miles - power cutting out

Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Default Electrical issues at 36k Miles - power cutting out

Hey,

I just bought this car used a couple thousand miles ago. its a 2015 Mazda 3i touring hatchback. This problem started yesterday and occurred this morning as well - I think it only occurs when its rainy and wet out. Basically, as I'm driving - usually at a slow speed although that might just be coincidental - the radio will cut out, random service lights will come on, and the throttle will get lurchy and freak out a bit. I'm not sure if I lost power steering as I was going in a straight line. This morning after it occurred I drove to the nearest mechanic for a diagnostic and they couldn't reproduce the problem and sent me on my way.

Any idea what this could be? My best guess is some exposed electrical component in the engine bay shorting out from water splashing from below - maybe bad grounding as well. I would imagine its an easy fix, but dangerous in the state that its in.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:57 AM

UPDATE:

Looks like its likely a water damaged Body Control Module, which is apparently an expensive pain in the **** to get fixed, especially because you pretty much need the dealership's proprietary Mazda diagnostic tools to diagnose it. Anyone have problems with their BCM Before? This sucks extra, I just bought the car a couple months ago at 32,000 miles. I have the absolute worst luck with cars.