Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   DTC C0020 ABS Pump Motor Control (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/dtc-c0020-abs-pump-motor-control-33171/)

flhxtp 02-23-2014 09:14 AM

DTC C0020 ABS Pump Motor Control

Newbie here, I'm looking for any information on the ABS Pump Motor Control failure on a 2010 Mazda 3, 2.5L. The ABS & traction control light has been on for about two months now, I finally got of my a$$ and took it to my friends shop he hooked up his Snap on Verus and the DTC C0020 ABS Pump Motor Control was the only active code. He attempted to clear the active code and as soon as he went to KO the code became active immediately.

Has anyone experienced this C0020 code before?
Where can I find a trouble shoot tree for the DTC C0020 code?
What's the cost of repair, if I do the work?
What's the cost of repair if I take it to the dealer and have them rape me?

Where is the ABS Pump Motor Control assembly located? (Behind the battery?)

Thank you for your help.

grim_reaper 02-24-2014 06:08 AM

Just had a look in the workshop manual, double check the 40amp ABS fuse, check & clean the terminals in the plug connector, other than that its a internal failure. You will need to replace the whole ABS unit ( located behind the battery)
================================================== =

1. Remove the battery and battery tray. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [ZY, Z6].) (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF, L5].)

2. Remove in the order indicated in the table.

3. Install in the reverse order of removal.

4. Switch the ignition to ON or start the engine, and maintain this condition for approx. 30 s to allow the ABS HU/CM automatic configuration to be performed.

5. Clear the DTCs from the memory. (See ON-BOARD DIAGNOSIS [ABS].)

grim_reaper 02-24-2014 06:25 AM

Just had a look in the workshop manual, double check the 40amp ABS fuse, check & clean the terminals in the plug connector, other than that its a internal failure. You will need to replace the whole ABS unit ( located behind the battery)

1. Remove the battery and battery tray. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [ZY, Z6].) (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF, L5].)

4. Switch the ignition to ON or start the engine, and maintain this condition for approx. 30 s to allow the ABS HU/CM automatic configuration to be performed.

flhxtp 02-24-2014 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 144568)

Grim_Reaper thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. Would you happen to know if there are any TSB,s or Mazda service bulletins on the ABS Pump Motor Control? It seems to me that it is premature failure.

Thanks again.

flhxtp 02-25-2014 06:23 PM

C0020 ABS Pump Motor Control

5 Attachment(s)
2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

KH30 03-05-2015 02:41 AM

Abs code 0200

I experienced the same code. Took car to two separate mechanic for second opinion but still comes back the same code. Had a new abs control module quoted for $1700 plus whatever the labour. I think the BL MAZDA has this known problem. Let me know if anyone knows an alternative cheaper way to fix this.

grim_reaper 03-05-2015 03:18 AM

I"ve replaced about 4 or 5 of these on BL's. Never replaced a ABS pump on any other Mazda yet.
There maybe companies out there that may pull them apart. Try Google.

KH30 03-05-2015 03:41 AM

Yep, I had found some second hand ones around $600 but understandably on guarantee fix. Do you know if flushing the module itself will resolve this problem? Thanks in advance

grim_reaper 03-05-2015 04:04 AM

The problem is with the electronic's not the hydraulics.

grim_reaper 03-05-2015 04:46 AM

If you try a 2nd hand unit, it may not be possible to re-programme it to a different car. I'm not sure, I've always fitted new units.

Here's a thought,
how old is your car? How many kms/miles? Hit up Mazda HQ. Cars shouldn't be crapping out in less than 5 or 6 yrs. I've seen cases in OZ where Mazda has paid for the pump & the customer pay labour, when the car is out of Warranty.

Give it a try.