Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Custom car keys or such.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Default Custom car keys or such.

Anyone know if there is a way to get special car keys after you buy the car. I have the key and remote seprately on my key chain, but I want one of those fancy ones that you push a button on your remote and the key pops out kinda thing.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Default RE: Custom car keys or such.

Yeah, you can get one of those, but it's really expensive and more and likely not worth it really. Cause you pretty much have to take off the stock tumbler and replace it with the new one and hook it up to the engine lock system.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

TMR Net Shark, sorry but you're wrong.

Yes it is possible to replace your keys. Depending on what country you're in the Mazda 3 has an engine immobilizer system that requires transponder keys to start it. The keys have to be programmed into the ECU, and to do so requires two already programmed keys. If you don't have two keys then you need to go to the dealer and have them program them in. You can get a regular transponder key for your car for ~$18 cut to your car and shipped to your door from www.onlinemazdaparts.com.

As for a flip open key yes you can, and no you can't. Mazda has flip keys available for several models however they do not offer a flip key for the Mz3 in the US. The flip key is actually two sections: 1) the key w/ transponder chip, and 2) the remote. They snap together to make a spiffy addition to your keyring. All Mazdas use the same transponder key portion, and the remote from a 2006 Mz6 will program to the 3's computer. That will run you about $75 cut and shipped to your door. Also if you're planning on getting two of these then it's cheaper to get the flip key/remote than it is to get seperate key/remote sets. Just as an FYI you can have up to 8 keys programmed to your car, and up to 3 remotes. Here's the catch. In 2007 Mazda changed the KEU (keyless entry unit) on the 3 requiring a different kind of remote. So far we haven't found any flip remotes that will program to this computer, and the only solution we've come up with is to replace the KEU with that of a Canadian 3 and then buy the flip keys to work with that module. That will set you back several hundred dollars, but if you have the money and it makes you happy then go for it.

Jason from www.onlinemazdaparts.com is a great guy. He's based out of Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte, NC and has always taken exemplery care of me. He has set up several "packages" that include the proper p/n of key and remote for any given year of 3, plus he has a package with the Canadian KEU and key/remote together. He's done a lot of the ground work for us enthusiasts to be able to get these flip keys... including ordering remotes and going car to car at his dealer trying to program them in to see which actually work. Anyway he's a great guy and he'll treat you right.

Preemptive rebuttle. So now you're all going to flip out because he'll cut the key to your car. First thing he'll do is compare your information to that in the Mazda database. If it matches up then he'll cut the key for you. Once you get the key it will open the door locks but won't start the ignition until you program the chip into the ECU. It's a very simple process taking a few minutes. Same thing with the remote, it won't work until you program it. I have all the part numbers and prices listed out in a thread on another forum. Please take a look at that and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Key, flip/key part #'s compiled

and the obligatory pictures of mine.

Name:  P2080141.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  P2080151.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  P2080145.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Thank you all. I just hope I can find someone down here in FL that can do that.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MazdaN00b

Thank you all. I just hope I can find someone down here in FL that can do that.
What year is your car? Remember if you have a 2007 then it's a big pain in the ***.

Just order it from www.onlinemazdaparts.com....... they're in NC, but they'll ship anywhere. All the prices in that thread are including shipping. As far as programming check that thread I linked to.... there are links to programming walkthroughs for both the keys and the remotes.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:32 AM

yeah, its a 2007 3i touring