Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Bad Oil Change Need Some Advice (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/bad-oil-change-need-some-advice-14074/)

mjtm3 04-21-2008 03:08 PM

Bad Oil Change Need Some Advice

Hello - new forum member with an 07 Mazda3 2.0. Great car.

I got my oil changed yesterday and the guy that did it left the oil filler cap off. 70 highway miles later and there is oil everywhere. The dipstick showed that I had oil up to the "low oil" line.

Any thoughts on whether I damaged the engine? Or did I dodge a bullet?

Thanks in advance ...

sstlaure 04-21-2008 03:38 PM

RE: Bad Oil Change Need Some Advice

If the Oil light (senses low oil pressure) never came on, then you're probably fine. I'd certainly give the shop an ear-full and expect a free change.

Simple Green does a good job of cleaning up the mess.

virgin1 04-21-2008 03:49 PM

'Guess you'll be talkin' to that shop again, huh?
I'd say you dodged the bullet. Like SST said, simple green, etc,....

Welcome to the forum!!

mjtm3 04-21-2008 03:56 PM

Thanks guys ... breathing a little easier. Much appreciated. And yes, I will be talking with them again. And going back to changing my own.

SILVERSP33D 04-21-2008 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear about that, mjtm3. I agree with what the others posted; if the low oil indicator lamp did not turn on, then more than likely, you're in good shape. Thank goodnessit did turn out worse!I would not go back to the same dealership/shop for any type of service, rather I would demand to be refunded for the (poor) service performed. In addition, I would askto be reimbursed for any cleaning supplies you needed to purchase to clean the mess. This is probably toolate, but take pictures as evidence.

06black3 04-21-2008 10:03 PM

id go back to that place and make sure that know what happened, you might save someone else having a blown engine.. but never know[8D]

EthereaL 04-22-2008 12:56 AM

Should i put a how to change your oil? so you can do it yourself.

This is one of the reasons why i don't let people do anything to my care, i do everything myself and it's for reasons like that, my "ex-uncle" had a 3 series and that same thing happened.

It's fairly easy to change your oil too.

jaimie08mazda3 04-22-2008 01:00 AM

what i do when im at an oil change place. which today i did. i go and watch over them make sure that it is all good and they put the oil in. once they forgot to put oil in my dads 2004 acura MDX and he was dirty pissed. the guy got an earfull for that. just watch them whatever you do. that way they cant screw up because they know your watching. whats wierd about today was that the person checked my lights.. i was like wtf. is that a customary thing they do in these types of places cuz it seemed really strange to me. and wow sst i havent talked to you in a looong time.

ohiogrown 04-23-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3
whats wierd about today was that the person checked my lights.. i was like wtf. is that a customary thing they do in these types of places cuz it seemed really strange to me.
I manage a shop with three full time techs and 8 bays and yes, any reputable shop will check your lights, fluids etc. with an oil change.

Your best bet is to not go to a "quick lube" but instead an actual garage. You may pay a little more, but theres a reason. Most fast lube places hire random flunkies we refer to as "lube-ologists" under the theory of, "it's just and oil change, anyone can do it." These guys have little to no automotive know how other than where the oil comes out and goes in.... and even that stumps them at times. You honestly can't expect a positive outcome when the reputation a guy making $6 an hour is in command your maintenance.