Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Aux Audio - iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Default Aux Audio - iPod?

Hi,
I've been wanting to play my ipod in my 2004 Mazda 3. I have an aux plug for the ipod which plugs into the lighter. However, I don't know how to actually play the music over the speakers. The plug will charge the ipod, but I can't find out how to play it.
I've tried tuning the radio but to no avail. I originally bought the aux plug for my parents car, and it had the option of "aux" to play the ipod. However, the Mazda 3 does not.... any ideas?
If it helps, I do not have the 6 CD stereo system. Also, my apologies, but I don't remember the name of the aux plug as I bought it over 2 1/2 years ago...

Last edited by Shuumai; 05-29-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Do you simply want to have an audio input or do you want ipod integration? What kind of audio output does the adapter you have have?

If you just want an input search for the grom audio simple input. It plugs into the rear of the stereo and gives you a 3.5mm (headphone jack) audio input.

If you want ipod integration then look at the grom ipod or the audiolink. Both with charge the ipod and allow you to control it from the stereo's controls.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 AM

Either audio input or ipod integration would be fine. I decided to try a radio transmitter, and it works fine! Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Depending on what came with your car you will have an input jack inside the radio. Pop the silver carbon strip off. (snaps on) but be sure to pull the tab at passenger side out towards steering wheel or youll break it off. Then remove 2 screws bellow LED monitor and pull out.

If there isn't a headphone type jack inside then you need an adapter that plug into the white block closet to the antena plug.
Check here for an adapter.

White plug next to red antenna cord is the aux input. My Mazda didn't come with one on the harness. Some came with a black headphone jack under the unit on the inside.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TA2DMAC
Depending on what came with your car you will have an input jack inside the radio. Pop the silver carbon strip off. (snaps on) but be sure to pull the tab at passenger side out towards steering wheel or youll break it off. Then remove 2 screws bellow LED monitor and pull out.

If there isn't a headphone type jack inside then you need an adapter that plug into the white block closet to the antena plug.

White plug next to red antenna cord is the aux input. My Mazda didn't come with one on the harness. Some came with a black headphone jack under the unit on the inside.
All Mazda 3's have the port on the back of the HU. '07+ ones will have the factory ACI plugged into it and an easier way to check for that vs. removing the HU would be to simply open the center console lid (or know what year your car is). That connector is also used for the OEM sirius, the OEM (and most all aftermarket) ipod module, and the OEM phatbox module so it's not really that the plug itself is the aux input, rather it's the means by which it plugs in.

No Mazda's came with a black headphone jack under the head unit. All 3's from '04 to somewhere around '08 had a connector on the underside of the HU. This was for the OEM tape deck or mini-disc modules which most no one ever purchased. There is an aftermarket input available from syflex called the Aux Mod Basic that plugs into that port and emulates the tape deck. That module (which is really basically just a circuit board) has a 3.5mm jack on it. It's possible that you've seen a HU with one of these and thought that it came standard, but it was most certainly added.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks for correcting me. My HU has a black connector on the inside like you described. I saw a pic of one with the jack in it, so I assumed it was stock. What would you recomend to be able to add my mp3? I like the idea of the blutooth as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

^^ No worries. I don't know much about a lot, but I have a pretty good knowledge base about one or two things.

Like I said for the OP it depends on what you want to connect and what you want it to do. If you have an ipod you can get an ipod module to integrate it with the HU and charge it. For those I recommend the audiolink or grom. I believe one or both of those offer bluetooth streaming as well, though that may be an addon module to it.

If you have a non-ipod Mp3 player or just want a simple input either go with the Aux Mod Basic as detailed above, or go with the simple grom input. Both will accomplish the same thing and cost roughly the same amount of money. The grom is probably more readily available as the Aux Mod is made in batches so you could be on a waiting list for a while... then again you could time it just right. The one real deciding factor is if you have the OEM sirius. If you do then go with the AxM as both the grom and sirius use the same port on the back of the HU and are mutually exclusive, whereas the AxM uses the TAPE/MD jack.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Ive been looking at the Grom and XCarLink and have been wondering which is better? Any comments or input? Also I looked at the Syflex kit, but there is no way to contact them. The email links doesn't work and the site hasn't been updated since 09 of last yr.

Basically I just want to play my MP3 player through the system. The USB would be nice because I can charge it or I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter so I'm not sure if I really need it. Just trying to get the bang for the buck.
BTW it's an 05 Mazda3

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TA2DMAC
Ive been looking at the Grom and XCarLink and have been wondering which is better? Any comments or input? Also I looked at the Syflex kit, but there is no way to contact them. The email links doesn't work and the site hasn't been updated since 09 of last yr.

Basically I just want to play my MP3 player through the system. The USB would be nice because I can charge it or I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter so I'm not sure if I really need it. Just trying to get the bang for the buck.
BTW it's an 05 Mazda3
As far as basic input you could go with either the grom or AxM basic and both will give you the same result. A deciding factor for some people is whether or not they have the factory sirius as it uses the same port as the grom so for those people the AxM is the better choice. Really I'd go with whichever one is less expensive. As to syflex's website.... yeah it sucks and they're terrible about responding to anything. That said they'll still add you to their wait list and you'll get a module the next time your number comes up and they're making a batch. I know of a person on a forum who bought one from them in the last couple of months so they're still doing it.

Wow. I just looked over at the gromaudio page and I really really need to update my list. lol

Grom now offers a unit which offers connections for USB (flash drive, external hard drive, etc.), ipod/iphone, 3.5 mm input, and can integrate with their bluetooth module for streaming music to the stereo. The USB, bluetooth and ipod/iphone connections all offer control from the stereo/steering wheel. Now of course it's way pricier than the earlier grom modules, and the additional cables are extra depending on what you want to connect it with..... stil....... wow. If you're looking at the ultimate flexibility in what a single module could do (should you choose to purchase those specific cables) then that one might be the one to go with.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Got the Sylfex Kit today. Yes they are still in business, even though the site hasn't been updated for a bit. Works perfect. Uses the Tape/MD button. I can control volume from steering wheel too.
Sylfex