Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   2010 Mazda3 headlight bulb replacement (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/2010-mazda3-headlight-bulb-replacement-24456/)

petroxg 10-08-2010 08:26 PM

2010 Mazda3 headlight bulb replacement

I searched on this forum and seems like the new 2010 3 might have the same headlight replacement problem as the Mazda 6. Or was it already like this for 2003 to 2009 3 model? What it says in owner's manual is you can't replace it by yourself and has to be done by the car dealer. Lovely! In my entire life I have never ever encounter a car that has this BS problem. Heck, even my old 99 mazda protege I got rid of was a piece of cake replacing headlight bulbs. Just wondering if anybody in this forum has experience trying to do it yet for the new 2010 3 and what the heck is mazda thinking? I just can't stand the stock oem bulb anymore and wanted to try the silverstar ultra bulbs.

I did look at it in the hood, it doesn't seem like hard to do, but there might be something I am not seeing, just thought I would ask here 1st before I try replacing the headlight myself.

petroxg 10-09-2010 02:19 PM

Well that was very stupid of me. I figure it out. I accidentally read the HID headlight section. Seems like the HID headlight you can't do it yourself. Halogen one is actually piece of cake. Ignore my previous post

Virgil Howarth 10-09-2010 03:02 PM

Glad you found the correct section. However, I replaced my 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis head light bulbs with the SilverStar ultra bulbs and found it a waste of time and money. The difference in performance was minimal.

P.S. I now have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan and love it.

Good luck...virg.

petroxg 10-13-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Virgil Howarth (Post 112103)
Glad you found the correct section. However, I replaced my 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis head light bulbs with the SilverStar ultra bulbs and found it a waste of time and money. The difference in performance was minimal.

P.S. I now have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan and love it.

Good luck...virg.

Thanks for the advise, I heard mix response from different people about Silverstar Ultra, but since I got cheap from ebay ($20...got lucky) normally is $50 in store, I thought what the hell, just try it. And yes the difference is not night and day difference, I already expected. I know for a fact unless is between HID and halogen, there is no way you can make it a big difference. However, with that put aside, it still is brighter than the stock one. Not big difference, but enough for me to notice. While the range is probably about the same to me, brightness does improved to what I observed. Although I do question about the color temperature Silverstar Ultra claimed though, to me it doesn't even look like 4100K color temperature (suppose to be white). I am still seeing light yellow which is more like 3500K temperature.

shipo 10-14-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by petroxg (Post 112269)
Thanks for the advise, I heard mix response from different people about Silverstar Ultra, but since I got cheap from ebay ($20...got lucky) normally is $50 in store, I thought what the hell, just try it. And yes the difference is not night and day difference, I already expected. I know for a fact unless is between HID and halogen, there is no way you can make it a big difference. However, with that put aside, it still is brighter than the stock one. Not big difference, but enough for me to notice. While the range is probably about the same to me, brightness does improved to what I observed. Although I do question about the color temperature Silverstar Ultra claimed though, to me it doesn't even look like 4100K color temperature (suppose to be white). I am still seeing light yellow which is more like 3500K temperature.

I made the mistake of believing the Silver Star marketing BS a few years ago. Contrary to said BS, my lighting didn't improve one bit, and the freakin' bulbs burned out in less than a year. Never again.