Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   2005 Vs. 2007 Mazda 3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/2005-vs-2007-mazda-3-a-11197/)

kevinlamar 10-30-2007 07:12 PM

2005 Vs. 2007 Mazda 3

I just got a fantastic offer from the dealer: 2005 silver Mazda 3, 34K miles, one owner, Leather seats, Sunroof, basically the top of the line model. All for $14,500!

I was dead set on getting a 2007, or at least a 2006 3. But after seeing the 05, there is really no way I can turn this down! What are the major changes made between the 05 and 07 models? I know theres this variable valve timing thing, but has anyone driven both of them? Is there really THAT big of a difference? So much so that I should spend 4K more to get the 07?

Oh, and one last thing, is the interior light display on the 05 model still blue, then red, then white? Thats an awesome feature that I'd be kinda bummed out to lose..also, does it have an place to plug in my IPOD?

Please let me know ASAP, I have to make my decision soon! Thanks!

jaimie08mazda3 10-30-2007 07:36 PM

RE: 2005 Vs. 2007 Mazda 3

i dont believe it has an auxillary plug in for your ipod. but you can buy one of those things that can plug it in. i am not sure how it works. i ahve an 08and it has one of those.there are probably a few things with the 07 that are different. but hell man thats a good deal. it all depends really. if you by the 07 only you have driven it (unless its used) but with the 07 you have the nicer taillights, and whatever. ill leave that decision up to you haha

UrbanmanUSA 10-30-2007 09:41 PM

1)Given the 08s are out, if you are willing to buy a new 07, you should be able to get quite a deal. I don't see why a new 07 sitting on the lot would be fetching a price north of $18K.

2) I own an 07, there were lots of little improvements between 05 and 07, biggest would be the suspension/handling were tweaked (improved) effective the 07 model year. The interior cloth was also improved. I drove the 06, and didn't like the handling, when I drove the 07, it was better.

3) I wouldn't consider $14500 for an 05 with 34K milesnecessarily to bethat great a deal. Have you checked the blue book price of the vehicle? Most of your warranty is gone, important to keep that firmly in the front of your mind. You might end up paying a bit more for a new 07 with a few less bells and whistles, but it would be a NEW car, fully warranty in place, you know it has not been abused.

kevinlamar 10-31-2007 12:23 AM

True, but I know that there has only been 1 owner. They kept the car extremely clean and there is a reporton the vehicles maintenance. So I know the car was not abused in any way.Also, the 05 car still has the warranty on it, so its not like its a really big problem.A new 2007 GT with sunroof and spoiler would be around 24K after taxes. The deal being offered to me would make the car 16K after taxes.

Should I spend 8K for less bells and whistles just to get slighly improved handling? ...seems like a lot...I think knowing I got a good price would over rule the other stuff.

LordChrisofSith 10-31-2007 07:18 AM

I think in the consumers report mag that I have.

The 05 had some issues. I am at work and don't have access to the book right now.

If I remember later, I'll post.

The 3 is supposed hold it's resale value. Better then most, except for maybe the "ho hum" Toyota's.

wineye 10-31-2007 07:23 AM

I'd second Urban's opinion, and go with a 07 model. I have a 07 i touring auto w/ 1AB option (ABS & airbags, curtains), paid little shy than 17K before tax, 0 down 0% for 3 years. Like Urban said, for an 07, you get full 3 years of warranty. You might feel you'd pay more for the 07, but you'll have a higher trade-in value because it's a newer car.

If you do like the runroof, bell and whistles etc on the 05, make sure all the recall work is done with the car before you take it, and if you like, take it to an independent shop for a thortough inspection (60 bucks or so?) A kept-clean car does not translate to a problem free car.
________
Paris79

sstlaure 10-31-2007 08:02 AM

I recently sold my 3i w/53,000 miles all decked out with Mazdaspeed stuff (exhaust, springs, camber links), 2 sets wheels/tires, & custom interior for $10.5K which matched the KBB value. I maintain my vehicles like a lunatic. You could have eaten off of the engine bay.

kevinlamar 10-31-2007 10:25 AM

I think that this is a great deal, and i've been seraching for a long time. I haven't heard any complaints about this version of the car. It looks very nice and the driver report is flawless.

Buying a usd car nowadays isnt like buying it in the past...its a 05 model...not 95. I don't think that after 2 years of having an excellent driver that this car is going to go to hell soon. If that were the case then Mazdas would have such great resale value.

IF the car is so great, I should be able to buy an 04 -06 without any fear of getting a tanker. Mazdas are reliable cars. Please give me more input, I'm going to test drive it this weekend. IF I love it, i'll buy it. I'll test drive the 07 again just to make sure i'm making the right choice.

sstlaure 10-31-2007 11:19 AM

My car still felt and drove just like new when I sold it with 53K miles. I wouldn't hesistate at all if you have a reliable history on the vehicle.

icspots 10-31-2007 12:55 PM

Okay you didn't say if this were an "i" or "s" trim model. Assuming it's the "s" then that's not too bad a deal. My '05 has 32k miles on it right now and I would feel no problem buying it used in it's current condition.

Things to keep in mind. In '05 the SAB/SCA packages weren't standard. Also HID headlights were an optional add-on (vs. the full GT package that's now offered). The HID's are the one thing I wish my car had but I can live without them. I would not buy this car without side airbags however as the crash tests without them were poor. If it doesn't have the HID's then the other things different between it and the '07/'08 GT are the taillights and the heated seats, as well as the Bose stereo. The only '05 model to have the Bose was the SP23.

As for the instrument cluster....... again this depends on the trim level. Assuming this is a S-trim (since it has leather) then it has the electroluminecent gauges. When off the face is black. With the ignition on it's black with red numbers/indicators, and you can dim it through about 6 levels of brightness. With the lights on it's black with red numbers/indicators plus the blue rings around the gauges, and you can swtich it between night/day mode (bright or dim) red stuff. Only the I-trim had/has the white face.

Ipod-wise there are lots of options. They didn't put the ACI in the console until 2007 so there's no built in one for you and you'd have to add one. If you're just looking for a simple audio input (i.e. no control of the ipod through the stereo) then and auxmod or a PIE adapter would work perfectly for you. If you wanted to control the ipod through the stereo and charge it at the same time then the audiolink from RPM would be my first suggestion. If you want to do all of that and have info. displayed on the LCD then I'd go with the AXXESS method. Check out THIS thread for more info. on all of those methods.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.