Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Car Won't Start ...Sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Default Car Won't Start ...Sometimes!

Hi All,

Apparently my last post didn't get posted so I'm doing it again. I own a 2013 Mazda 3 with about 59,500 miles on it. I love my car and it typically runs well, but I've had a problem that I can't seem to figure out what is going on. So here it goes: my car sometimes won't start when I've driven it to school and parked there in the underground or above ground parking lot for 10-11 hours. The car will crank or turnover (not sure what the correct terminology is) but it won’t turn on the first try. But when I try it again, this time stepping on the gas pedal, it turns on. This has also happened when I park in the underground parking lot at my work (it’s very hot and stuffy there). Surprisingly, I haven’t had an issue in the morning when I turn my car except maybe once. No issues during the summer when the weather was hot and I parked outside. I suspected it could be a fuel issue so I took it to my mechanic this week and they recommended cleaning the throttle body, which they did. One day later, I once again left my car parked for about 10 hours at school, and my car didn’t start until I hit the gas pedal a second time.

Before I start racking up expenses I wanted to get your feedback on what could be the issue. Other things to note: I had the battery replaced May 2017, do routine oil changes, and had tranny fluid drained and replaced in January 2018. Lastly, not sure if this is relevant or not, but no check engine light has come on.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:59 AM

So the first time it will crank and crank and crank forever and not start? Then if you stop cranking, press the pedal and release it, then crank again it starts? I am just trying to understand the sequence of events you explain.

The first thing I want you to do is tell me how much weight you have on your keychain?
The second, is there ANYTHING else wrong with the car?

Get back to us.
RGAZ

Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Check fuel pressure, & for pressure drop when the key is off.