Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

05 Mazda Tribute won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Default 05 Mazda Tribute won't start.

Hey everyone I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute, 2.3 4 cylinder, auto, all wheel drive that won't start...I just replaced the engine in my Mazda and car will not fire up.. took it to the Mazda dealer and they don't have any clue why it won't start.. timing was checked to make sure it was set right, key was checked for match and is all good, comp was checked and again good, has strong spark in all four cylinder, compression was checked and right on the marks on all four, and fuel pressure was checked and again right on the mark. So if anyone has any other ideas please help me..

Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Are the injectors firing?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Everything is firing, I just sprayed starting fluid In the throttle body and it backfired out the body..but still won't fire

Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM

It really suck that the dealership worked on t for three hours and they couldn't even get it started

Old 05-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Was the engine running in the donor car?

Why did you swap it out, what happened to your engine?

Crank it over, smell the exhaust, does it smell of gas? If so its likely an ignition problem, if not its likely fuel (or possibly both as the engine hasn't yet run).

Pull a COP, put a plug in it and earth the plug outer, crank it over, does it spark?

Poor dealer if they managed to rule out nothing in 3hrs of work...

Edited - sorry missed the starter fluid post - so it looks like fuelling, are there any DTC's stored yet?

Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 PM

So I got a story.... the dealer ( now this is the Mazda dealer) the ones that sell and work on this car brand... spent 3 hours plus working on this Tribute.. the checked the spark ( got spark in all four) , checked fuel pressure and injector firing, checked compression in all four ( very good for a motor with 70k), checked the comp to see if it was actually working, and also checked to see if key was matched to the car... all was good they even checked the cam timing and again was all good... so they didn't charge me for the checks or any work they did cause hey couldn't find the problem...also the shop who installed the engine couldn't find the problem and they had it there for a month..... so yeah after five tows to and from shops still nothen...so when I was about to give up and blow it up... the sun comes out.. I got bored and decided to watch a hour long YouTube video on Mazda engines....so after all of this crap and goes and headaches not one dam person in the world bothered to see if the harmonic balancer ( you know the most important part of the ignition) to actually see if it was set to the correct timing position...yeah the compression was good, fuel pumping and spark perfect.. but all of that stuff don't mean crap when the balancer tells the comp when to start the first cylinder to start its firing order.. all this time the wrong cylinders were firing.. just because the balancer was off by 90 degrees... but hey car runs now soft and sweet. And dealer felt so bad when I took it to them and I told them the problem.. they reset the balancer, performed the resetting of the cams and routine mainenace of the timing all for free....but now I developed a new problem.. after all of this crap...the transmission torque converter seal started leaking. I just can't win

Old 05-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Glad you found the answer - I’d have thought the balancer would have been keyed to the crank to ensure proper timing on assembly?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 PM

You would think.. but this one just slides on and held by a bolt..