Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   Tune up advice (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/tune-up-advice-31992/)

kuzindwight 07-18-2013 09:40 PM

Tune up advice

I'm about to do my first tune up in a long time. I used Bosch +4 plugs last time but I've since read that they eat through coils. So this time I want to get some quality stuff that are durable.

What spark plugs and ignition coil manufactures do you all recommend.

Jaysen
2002 Tribute ES

grim_reaper 07-19-2013 05:45 AM

NGK plugs.

tanprotege 07-19-2013 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 139565)
NGK plugs.

The man of few words spoke!

supersnowboarding 10-01-2013 08:17 AM

Should you change the coil as well as the spark plugs or does it matter if you only change the spark plugs?

UseYourNoggin 11-25-2013 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sullavance (Post 142320)
It is quite confused.

? :confused: What? :mad:

Depending on your mileage. Some people like to wait to change there ignition coils. The cons of this are: when misfiring ocurrs you are sending raw fuel to catalytic converter which could melt the cat. Also another person recently posted that their faulty ign coil caused the pcm to fail, so now he's looking for a new pcm as well.
How often do you change plugs, how many miles since the last change? Have you ever changed your ign coils?
If you change plugs every 60,000 miles, put on new ign coils. I did.Clean the egr, throttle body, maf, change the pcv valve.

Bobsyouruncle 04-09-2014 03:14 PM

I buy all my parts from Rockauto. Save a bunch of money.

keninn 04-09-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kuzindwight (Post 139562)
I'm about to do my first tune up in a long time. I used Bosch +4 plugs last time but I've since read that they eat through coils. So this time I want to get some quality stuff that are durable.

What spark plugs and ignition coil manufactures do you all recommend.

Jaysen
2002 Tribute ES

i have bosch fusion in my 2002 outback. i keep records of every time i fill the tank. and i use the vehicle to deliver mail for the usps. the plugs i replaced were ngk, standard single electrode copper core. with just the spark plug change, fuel economy increased at least 10%, idle improved, and response off idle. plus, with the rebate, final cost on the plugs was like 2 bucks each. the +4 is platinum, the fusion is iridium, both are 4 electrode, the fusion is surface gap. lots of problems with spark plugs happen because the installer is stupid. if you do get a multi-electrode or precious metals plug, they must be specified for your car, and come pre-gapped. on another note, i only use ngk in our millenias, which are a single electrode platinum plug, factory gapped .7-.8mm. other owners have been duped into using other plugs, and some have then had to get new coils(the 2.3 is a cop system), which retail for 174 each. one thing to remember, some plugs will have a -11 after the plug. this means the gap is 1.1mm(.044). for example, the ngk plug for the millenia 2.3 is 3741(PZFR5F), gapped from the factory .7-.8mm. there is also another ngk plug, PZFR5F-11(dunno the short number), which is the same plug, but factory gapped at 1.1mm. installing this plug in a 2.3 causes miss, poor idle, bad response, and kills coils. do NOT depend on the parts person at the local parts store to give you the correct plug. do your own homework, and get the correct plug. i recommend the fusions, unless your car is forced induction. then i would go factory recommended only.