Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Transponder Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Luc
Default Transponder Key

We lost one of the transponder keys and want to replace it. So, is there any way to program a new one myself to avoid the dealership or locksmiths high cost?

Also exactly what does the dealership do to program a new key if I only have the one?

Thanks, Luc

Old 06-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Default RE: Transponder Key

If you have only one key then you will not be able to program the key by yourself. The procedure at the dealer is quite simple actually. We ID the vehicle with either WDS or the newer IDS diagnosic computers first. Then you enter the PATS or Passive Anti-Theft System. In order to gain security access there is simply a 10 minute wait period where the vehicle just sits there. Once the 10 minutes have elapsed then security access is granted and are then able to erase old keys, program new keys, etc. Without the computer you cannot get security access.
Very different story if you still have two valid keys which I very highly recommend as cost to program is free. Use this easy procedure if you still have two valid keys.
#1 First you need to purchase and have the new key cut to match.
#2 Insert the first valid key into ignition and turn from LOCK to RUN. Leave key in RUN for at least 1 second but not more than 10 seconds.
#3 Turn to LOCK and remove key.
#4 Insert the second valid key within 10 seconds and turn from LOCK to RUN. Again for more than 1 second but not more that 10 seconds.
#5 Turn to LOCK and remove key.
#6 Now insert the NEW key into the ignition within 10 seconds and turn from LOCK to RUN. When security light goes out in 3-5 seconds turn key to START position. Engine should start and key is now programmed.

There is also a way if you still have two valid keys to erase any old keys so that the lost one cannot be used to steal your Tribute.
To do this, perform the above procedure up to #6 of inserting the NEW key. Instead of inserting a NEW key then reinsert the first valid key and turn from LOCK to RUN. Security light will begin flashing rapidly. Allow it to flash for 10 seconds and then turn key off. All keys except the two in your possession are now erased.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 AM

If you lost one of the transponder keys and want to replace it. Don't worry I tell you, You can design another transponder key is a new key to the vehicle.