Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Power steering pump suction pipe seal-Can it be reused?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Default Power steering pump suction pipe seal-Can it be reused?

2002 Tribute V6. I've removed the power steering pump and must transfer both metal pipes from the old pump to the new pump. The larger pipe (suction pipe) is bolted onto the pump with two torx bolts and uses a black seal/washer that looks to be made out of nylon or hard rubber and fits in a round groove in between the two bolt holes via which the pipe is fastened to the pump. The new pump does not come with a new seal and that seal is NOT sold by any parts store including the Mazda dealer. My question is: Can the old seal be reused without problems? Is there any source for this seal?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 AM

would likely be a o ring and has flattened and hardened with age and heat

Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 AM

Hi peedee, thanks for responding. An o-ring that has hardened and flattened? Hmmm.......didn't think of that. Well.....I had no choice but to reuse the old seal and when I put the Mercon V fluid in, I noticed it was leaking from that seal when I was installing the pump to the block. Pretty disappointing.

Last night I decided to use Aisin FIPG (Formed In Place Gasket) which is a black, oil-resistant RTV that Toyota and some other makes use. Too bad, because FIPG can be a real pain to clean up if you have to take it apart. I kept the old seal in there and smeared a thin layer of FIPG on the mating surface and tightened it down (never could find the torque spec for that). I plan on installing the pump tonight or tomorrow night. I should have tried to find an oil-resistant o-ring, but honestly it looks like a nylon crush washer, so I discounted that idea. Hopefully the FIPG will seal it up. If not, I'll have to clean it up and try to find a fat oil-resistant o-ring that fits perfectly in there. That could be hard to find. Thanks for bringing the possibility that it was an o-ring to my attention.