Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Need help with PCM replacement.. questions.. p0351.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Default Need help with PCM replacement.. questions.. p0351.

Hello guys, my stepfather owns an 05 Mazda Tribute. A few months ago, he noticed the truck running horribly and missing like a blind man playing darts. He called me up and i went over for some diagnostic work. Now i am no ASE master certified tech, but i have had my share of years in the automotive field, doing everything from parts to working as a tech for different dealerships/shops. So first thing i do is get the DTC's with my scanner. P0351!. So my research begins.. as many of you know, my findings weren't exactly the best news. So i pull of the upper intake manifold, check the coils, find 1 culprit(which was cylinder 1 like the code stated), replaced the coil, and 6 new plugs. Before i continue, i will say that the rear plugs (1,3,5) looked like they have never been changed. These plugs were soo bad, they looked like the diode had been lasercut off. I started the car up, still had a miss, and within seconds, the same P0351 code comes up. Turned off the car, checked the coils.. they were good, checked the plugs... they were good. So i pulled the PCM out, broke it open, and sure enough.. it looked like someone had taken a cigarette to it. So here where i need help... A new PCM from the dealer is $1200-$1400.. i got one from a junkyard with no DTC's (i checked) for $300. I installed the new PCM and can't get the car started because its in Anti-Theft mode, due to it being a PCM from a different car. The Tribute was towed to the dealer today, in hopes that a simple reflash would get the car started. No luck. Non-the-less, im not sure if that is really the problem anyway. After sitting back and thinking about it (after everyone has closed for the day) i realized that the PCM actually came off a 06 Escape. The serial numbers and everything matched perfectly, but is it possible that the reason they are having trouble is because of the fact that although its the same serial number, it is a different make/model/ and year... It makes sense to me, but i'm not certain. Should i try a PCM from the same make/model/year or atleast the same make/model as opposed to a Ford PCM in a Mazda vehicle? Anyone know where i can get a PCM if that is the case? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW: This is a 3.0 V6 A/T

Last edited by undsptddsm; 07-14-2011 at 07:33 PM.