Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/how-many-miles-do-you-have-your-tribute-how-many-problems-have-you-had-19731/)

molsonice 07-18-2011 08:52 PM

Have a 2002 Tribute LX 3.0 L AWD 98,785 miles only 1 recall for the rack and pinion power steering and other than that the baby runs fine. Like most have stated you get around 17 to 18 mpg city and 22 to 23 highway but have found that if you are not in a rush and drive 60mph you can get up to 26mph with out a tail wind. Yes people do pass by and wonder what is going on but I am not in any rush to go anywhere now days and with the price of gas a lead foot only makes the milage worse rather than better. GREAT LITTLE SUV

the4horse 04-04-2012 05:41 AM

'04 Tribute 2.3 Auto with 220,000k's
Replaced Alternator after the computer bit on it failed (I think it got wet because it's positioned too low) $650 fitted (Mazda wanted $1000 for part)
Replaced Auto Neutral Safety Switch $120 fitted
Replaced front left wheel bearing $200 fitted
I notice that first thing in the morning the transmission changes from first to second with a bit of a thump...it does it once and then it's fine...a bit strange.
Engine is perfect, I also appreciate the lower engine revs at highway speeds compared to my 04 Outlander which revved way higher at 100k's.
Cloth trim is wearing really well...people still comment it looks new!
Only thing I don't like is the rear drum brakes...would like to change for disc set-up if possible.

molsonice 04-05-2012 06:34 AM

Love my Mazda

Fortunately for me we have only had to do the required maintenance on this vehicle, Fluid changes, gear box changes and tune-up. I do need to get the stabalizer rods changes as they are making noise now but for a 10 year old vehicle wwe won't complain. Just went over 100,000 miles.

MikeysTribby 07-13-2012 10:27 PM

I have to ask..

I just bought a 2004 V6 Tribby with 36K miles. I read here that alot of people never had tranny problems and have well over 100K - 200K miles. How is it that some people never have tranny problems and others have problems at 30K? Servicing the tranny every 30K saves it? How are most of you getting that kind of miles out of your tranny?

I love the truck so far but half the time i'm afraid the trannys going to blow on me after reading all the bad tranny reviews out there. At the same time, my
dad has a 2001 Taurus with the 24V V6 ( same thing as the Tribute or Escape with what I THINK is the same tranny and he has 120K miles without any problems.

DigitalJer 07-31-2012 10:43 AM

2001 Tribute DX, 4 cyl 5 spd manual.

Easily the most reliable and economical vehicle I've owned!

Door handle - yep, alternator, yep, water pump yep, K&N installed (noticeable on the highway - much improved mileage), platinum plugs. Also replaced the drive shaft (centre bearing went = need whole shaft), clutch, front anti-sway bushings.

Now I think it's the clutch master cylinder. Oh well at least it's easily accessible...

Also, for road noise, all I did was take off each inside door panel and applied a layer of expanding insulation foam. It only takes about 15 minutes to cure, then you can just easily cut away the excess to fit. Helps cut down road noise dramatically (although not completely), as well as improve speaker bass. Big improvement.

ToddinBoston 04-20-2013 12:48 PM

bumping an old thread...2004 Tribute LX update...

passed the 200K miles mark in february...

recently replaced the brake booster (brake pedal was whistling when i let off brake)...probably failed due to leaky master cylinder...

otherwise, still running strong...knocking on wood...:)

tyashley13 12-06-2013 07:14 PM

2008 Tribute 160,000
Electronic steering went out. The steering wheel would move by itself. Pretty scary if u think about it.
One time the mass air flow sensor was dirty and was getting crappy gas mileage. I cleaned it and the gas mileage went back to normal.
Other than that it's a great vehicle.
It is leaking a little oil from I think the valve cover.

Jmarcin 02-19-2014 05:47 PM

Okay, here goes:

2002 Mazda Tribute DX (4Cyl, manual trans, 141,000)

brake pads (twice)
rotors (twice)
water pump (3 times)
master cylinder (twice)
rack and pinion (1 time)
clutch (twice)
jammed passenger side door
read window hydraulics failing
cracked thermostat casing causing coolant leak (replaced)
cracked front axle gasket causing transmission fluid leak
cv joints replaced
shocks replaced
catalytic converter failing
timing chain/belt replaced
plastic silver panel on front of panel replaced
rust spots on driver door (still not fixed)
driver side door handle replaced
knob on air conditioner replaced
factory radio/cd player does not work anymore
Rear motor mount replaced because it cracked and my engine was rocking

These are all I can think of off the top of my head. I've had the brake lights replaced a few times, and the license plate light a few times. Some type of "C clip" broke once, as well, but I'm probably not getting the name correctly there.

I am currently having another round of clutch issues, but this may be due to faulty labor in the installation of my latest clutch last month. I will see next week. It's parked until then.

molsonice 02-20-2014 08:27 AM

Miles on my Mazda Tribute

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute with 105,678 miles on it, so far it has had one recall on the rack and pinion steering which was taken care of by the dealer. I did the first set of break pads at 65,000, I did a tune up at 100,000 miles, had to replace the oil pan because no one would own up to over tightening the bolt not a fault of the manufacture. I replaced the sway bar links at 103,000 miles because the were worn out and just replaced the left lower ball joint because it was worn out at 104,000. Regardless of the manufactures recommendations I have replaced the oil & filter every 6,000 miles and air filter every 30,000 miles, the vehicle runs like a champ and has never left me stranded, the only thing I don't care for is the gearing of the transmission because it has to come out of overdrive when going up moderate hills rather than the larger ones when in cruise control. Might by one again when this one gives out why pay $400.00 per month when I have a great vehicle and I don't have to spend that much in gas and repairs.:):D:):p

GhostTribute 02-20-2014 01:51 PM

I own a 2001 Tribute 2.0L w/289k km on the odo.

Things I have replaced in the 6 years I have owned it;
Sway bar end links - 3 times
Lower control arm bushings 2 times
Lower ball joints (both sides)
Rusted out oil pan
Exhaust from the catalytic converter back
Usual Brake parts, pads, shoes, spring kit and drums
Both rear wheel cylinders and flex lines
Had to paint the brake booster due to brake fluid leak (reservoir cap defect)
Brake reservoir cap (defect)
Complete e-brake cable
Rear dif drive shaft seals

Then the usual engine maintenance, timing belt, water pump, tension pulleys, fluids etc..etc.

Really nothing out of the ordinary for a 13 year old SUV with 180k miles. Including being driven on salty winter roads for all of those years.

Jmarcin 02-20-2014 08:17 PM

There was a recall on the rack and pinion? Was the for all 2002 Tribs? I never heard of this. I paid for mine when it bad.

Bobsyouruncle 04-09-2014 03:02 PM

17300 on 2001 Tribute. I'm building a new car, one part at a time.

Bobsyouruncle 09-02-2014 04:29 PM

many

175000 and building a new Tribute one part at a time.

ToddinBoston 09-03-2014 07:08 AM

Final update... 225K miles and the end is near... I've actually had to spend some decent money over the last couple of months on repairs... had to replace my front catalytic converter and my main catalytic converter, blown out EGR valve, couple of o2 sensors and a vacuum line... within the past few weeks my passenger side rear wheel well rotted away along with the shock mount... not going to fix it and no way will it pass inspection as is... hope my next vehicle treats me as well as my tribute has...

cb35 03-22-2016 12:10 AM

Great Thread and gives me some hope that I can squeeze more life out of my 05 Tribute s awd w/105K miles.

I purchased new and have paid $7,327 for everything - with approx. $2k coming in the last year. I have been hunting for other owners and their experiences.

replaced battery (twice)
two recalls (wheel sensor & cruise control)
Brakes (twice)
Spark Plugs, Sway Bar, Stabilizer? @ 75K
Minor electrical issues with headlamp
Exhaust Repair @ 80K
Wheel sensor @ 84k
Right Axle @ 89K
Tie Rod & Ball Joint @ 95K
Rear Hatch Glass failed on the worst possible day (I was moving) that was a design flaw as it corrodes @ 98K
100K Service incl. coolant flush
Brake Rotors / Rear Caliper @ 102K
Alternator @ 103K
Tires (twice)
Trans fluid, rear diff fluid and exhaust repair @ 104k

Currently - the vehicle has a rough idle when in drive and stopped. Less so / minimal when parked. I'm worried that it won't pass inspection next month but bought some Techron fuel additive to hopefully 'clean' the engine pistons or whatever it does as a $15 hail mary fix for that issue.

The rear glass latch doesn't lock

I notice rust is starting to creep into the rear wheel wells mainly - not as bad as some photos I have seen online.

I would like to get more out of the car and some posts gave me hope but I probably wouldn't put another $1k into the car either.

Torn on Mazda in the future as I liked the idea of assembled in the USA which the Tribute was in 2005. I do like the look of the CX-5 however and reviews appear pretty good. Just amazes me how the prices have gone up as the Tribute was way less than $25k (I don't recall my exact purchase price) but it seems the CX-5 are going well over $25K up to the $30-32k range.

20Tribute02 06-01-2017 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by marc515 (Post 96290)
We have an 03 Tribute with 25K miles on it, and no major problems thus far. My wife likes the new Tributes, and we're thinking about a new one next year.

Just wondering how many miles you guys have on your Tributes, and how many Problems have you had over all. Basically, a long term reliability question.

Thank you,.....marc

I started having most of my problems after 50k miles. My 2002 4x4 required full brake service about every 25k miles including new rotors though, even when brakes were babied. It was explained that the heavy SUV body on a car chassis and the rotors were such that they couldn't be rotated. Expensive "maintenance."

cb35 06-01-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cb35 (Post 157175)
Great Thread and gives me some hope that I can squeeze more life out of my 05 Tribute s awd w/105K miles.

I purchased new and have paid $7,327 for everything - with approx. $2k coming in the last year. I have been hunting for other owners and their experiences.

replaced battery (twice)
two recalls (wheel sensor & cruise control)
Brakes (twice)
Spark Plugs, Sway Bar, Stabilizer? @ 75K
Minor electrical issues with headlamp
Exhaust Repair @ 80K
Wheel sensor @ 84k
Right Axle @ 89K
Tie Rod & Ball Joint @ 95K
Rear Hatch Glass failed on the worst possible day (I was moving) that was a design flaw as it corrodes @ 98K
100K Service incl. coolant flush
Brake Rotors / Rear Caliper @ 102K
Alternator @ 103K
Tires (twice)
Trans fluid, rear diff fluid and exhaust repair @ 104k

Currently - the vehicle has a rough idle when in drive and stopped. Less so / minimal when parked. I'm worried that it won't pass inspection next month but bought some Techron fuel additive to hopefully 'clean' the engine pistons or whatever it does as a $15 hail mary fix for that issue.

The rear glass latch doesn't lock

I notice rust is starting to creep into the rear wheel wells mainly - not as bad as some photos I have seen online.

I would like to get more out of the car and some posts gave me hope but I probably wouldn't put another $1k into the car either.

Torn on Mazda in the future as I liked the idea of assembled in the USA which the Tribute was in 2005. I do like the look of the CX-5 however and reviews appear pretty good. Just amazes me how the prices have gone up as the Tribute was way less than $25k (I don't recall my exact purchase price) but it seems the CX-5 are going well over $25K up to the $30-32k range.

Update on my rough idle - it turned out it was the motor mounts. Tribute still hanging in there.

Savvy Deals 07-14-2017 11:35 PM

08 Tribute

Standard wear and maintenance...
Regular oil changes, tires(rotation and balance), break pads, etc.
300,000 today! https://photos.app.goo.gl/WDsq52aEkHeAsjIY2https://photos.app.goo.gl/WDsq52aEkHeAsjIY2

ftron 08-29-2017 03:23 PM

2004 Tribute

I have a 2004 Tribute 3.0 engine with 162000 miles on it. Besides the usual maintenance, I have not had to do anything to it. But Now I'm having an issue with the gas mileage fluctuating. I used to get 19 MPG. Now It changes every tank full. On one tank full I will get 19 MPG, then the next I will get 15 MPG, then 13 MPG, Then 10 MPG, then 15 MPG, Then 19 MPG, and so on.

Does anyone know what can cause this?

mjbkj 10-26-2017 08:43 PM

just bought a used 2006 Tribute, 2.3 4 cyl.
140k miles...
it's in good shape considered the mileage...

simonsi 11-05-2017 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ftron (Post 163939)
I have a 2004 Tribute 3.0 engine with 162000 miles on it. Besides the usual maintenance, I have not had to do anything to it. But Now I'm having an issue with the gas mileage fluctuating. I used to get 19 MPG. Now It changes every tank full. On one tank full I will get 19 MPG, then the next I will get 15 MPG, then 13 MPG, Then 10 MPG, then 15 MPG, Then 19 MPG, and so on.

Does anyone know what can cause this?

Might be a knock sensor issue causing the ignition to retard due to false knock detection. Scan it for codes to rule out anything the ECU can detect (it can't by definition detect false knock). Make sure you have ruled out poor quality gas as well...

slantnose 08-26-2018 08:56 PM

168,000 on my 2001 Mazda Tribute ES. Repairs to date. New alternator at @100,000. Front brakes replaced with ceramic discs at @ 60,000. Ignition switch brackets(bent) replaced(switch locked up). All coils and plugs replaced twice to date. Front hood molding replaced. New fuel pump at 150,000. All vacuum hoses replaced at @ 90,000, and in process of replacing them again. Idle control valve replaced once and cleaned twice (not really needed). Power steering pump replaced at 165,000. Driver's door handle replaced once, and then fixed again using method posted on here. Driver seat re-upholstered 167,000.Coolant reservoir replaced at 165,000 (cracked on seam). Brake fluid reservoir cap replaced. Currently running great after replacing # 5 coil( with good old coil) and new plug.

April 12-08-2020 06:21 PM

2004 Mazda Lx 6 cyl Won’t start first thing on a cold morning ,

Originally Posted by ToddinBoston (Post 148344)
Final update... 225K miles and the end is near... I've actually had to spend some decent money over the last couple of months on repairs... had to replace my front catalytic converter and my main catalytic converter, blown out EGR valve, couple of o2 sensors and a vacuum line... within the past few weeks my passenger side rear wheel well rotted away along with the shock mount... not going to fix it and no way will it pass inspection as is... hope my next vehicle treats me as well as my tribute has...

Any Suggestions on what could be causing my 2004 LX 6 cyl tribute , on why it won’t start on cold mornings ? Has 130,000 miles . Have had IAC replaced , fuel pump checked ok, and just had the part replaced , that prevents fire in a roll over. HELP! Please I don’t want to get rid of it , I love it .

Npiet1 04-23-2023 03:46 AM

300k. Lots of minor issues. Got it at 200k. Replaced nearly every vacuum tube and currently doing the exhaust. Oil/fuel filter/air filter change every 3 months. Spark plugs every 6.

PerusTC 07-13-2023 10:21 PM

2005 Tribute

I have had mine for about a week and it has 204,000 on it. Someone has either hidden problems well or it's just been taken care of. Not a noise or idiot light anywhere.... yet!. The blasted security light blinking when you exit the thing is irritating (I'm Old) but outside of the cheap speakers paired with a JVC changer I don't have any gripes... yet! I have the V6 version S model.

PerusTC 07-13-2023 10:41 PM

I know it's been a while but, have you checked the fuel pump control module? It's a real pain but it costs less than other solutions. I have been told that when it's cold out a bad control module that has issues can't operate normally.