Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Help! Help help

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Default Help! Help help

I have a 2005 tribute. When I turn the key slowly to the on position I hear a sizzling like sound as the gauges move into position. Same when I turn the SUV off slowly. Vehicle starts fine. It sounds like the sizzling is coming from the instrument panel yet everything works fine.

It's more of a nuisance but it has to be something since it wasn't there the last 7 years.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Do they all work still? No problems with any single gauge? What if you turn it on and off normally?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Default Still No Resolution

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Do they all work still? No problems with any single gauge? What if you turn it on and off normally?

Then you don't hear it as loud because the sound of the engine drowns it out. Took it to Mazda on Saturday and they haven't a clue. They heard it but no idea what it is. Also does the cruise control light come on when you hit on or not until you hit set? Called 7 different dealers and have mixed answers.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Oh you mean when you slowly turn the key from RUN/ON to START to start the engine, not turning the key to RUN/ON, two different things there. So correct me if I am wrong, when you turn the key to RUN/ON there is no sound (lights come one though) but when you start to turn it slowly to START then the gauges make noise, correct? No burning electrical smell I hope, do they twitch or move at all when you hear this?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 AM

The best way to put it is that I turn it all the way without starting the car. Probably as you say, the RUN/On position. As you are turning the key, the gauges move and you hear a sizzling like sound that seems to be in unison with the gauge movement. No smell of anything burning.

Also as far as the cruise control, does the cruise control light on the instrument cluster come on when you hit ON on the sterring wheel or not until you hit SET?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM

My sisters Explorer turns on when she hits SET. It almost sounds like you have either a ground issue or gauge issue, my mom has an 05 mustang that had freaking out gauges, she needed new stepper motors for the needles installed.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
My sisters Explorer turns on when she hits SET. It almost sounds like you have either a ground issue or gauge issue, my mom has an 05 mustang that had freaking out gauges, she needed new stepper motors for the needles installed.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just they way some Ford vehicles work as far as the cruise control. As far as the gauges, I'm just going to wait and see. So far...so good. Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated.

Search this Thread