Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2004 Mazda Tribute died while driving and has not started again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Smile 2004 Mazda Tribute died while driving and has not started again.

Hi everyone... I have a 04 Mazda Tribute. It has high mileage at 283k but has been maintained faithfully. I am the only owner bought it brand new. The check engine light did not come on, with no warning it just died while I was going 55mph on the hwy. All the dash lights came on, tried to start it to get off the road and it turned over but nothing. The next day I have it towed home I start doing the basic tests like fuses, spark, fuel pump running, rpm- computer test, everything is fine. I know my way around and double checked the battery, wiring, hoses, fluids, etc and I see nothing. I had it towed to the local mechanic who returned the car to me 2 days later no charge and said he cant figure it out. (Thank goodness it was free). Anyway my question is if u were to do what I have done and u dont have codes or see anything visibly wrong where would u start next? What would u try or do. On a budget and live 40 minutes from an auto parts store any help is appreciated. Thank u.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Crank it over, does the exhaust smell of fuel? If not its a fuelling issue, if so its spark related.

Have you checked ALL the fuses? Sudden failure with no performance dropoff normally points to electrical/ignition

Old 04-07-2017, 02:07 AM

Thanks for your help. I did check for a fuel smell and I just smell regular exhaust. Today I purchased a fuel filter that I am going to install tmw. I was going to purchase the ignition switch but it was $52.00, I thought I would start with the fuel filter and someone mentioned to me maybe I should try to unplug the switch and plug it back in. So I will try that tmw. And I did check all the fuses both inside and under the hood. all the terminals are getting power and all the fuses are fine. I was driving at 55 mph on the hwy and it just stopped. All the dash lights came on I tried to start it in a panic and nothing. Of course I was in the rain, the dark, on a curve in the mountains with no cell phone service. Luckily an older gentleman was driving slowly coming behind me, he pushed me off the road and I tried to start it and nothing just dash lights. Towed it home the next day and trying to start it nothing. Let it sit and dry out for a few days and nothing. Did all the basic tests for spark, fuel pump, fuses, computer, battery, alternator, etc. everything is fine. Mechanic said he couldn't even figure it out. I had my radiator blow in my Subaru the other day and replaced it in one day easy. Wish this dumb Mazda was simple. lol

Last edited by CareToLynn; 04-07-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by CareToLynn
Thanks for your help. I did check for a fuel smell and I just smell regular exhaust. Today I purchased a fuel filter that I am going to install tmw. I was going to purchase the ignition switch but it was $52.00, I thought I would start with the fuel filter and someone mentioned to me maybe I should try to unplug the switch and plug it back in. So I will try that tmw. And I did check all the fuses both inside and under the hood. all the terminals are getting power and all the fuses are fine. I was driving at 55 mph on the hwy and it just stopped. All the dash lights came on I tried to start it in a panic and nothing. Of course I was in the rain, the dark, on a curve in the mountains with no cell phone service. Luckily an older gentleman was driving slowly coming behind me, he pushed me off the road and I tried to start it and nothing just dash lights. Towed it home the next day and trying to start it nothing. Let it sit and dry out for a few days and nothing. Did all the basic tests for spark, fuel pump, fuses, computer, battery, alternator, etc. everything is fine. Mechanic said he couldn't even figure it out. I had my radiator blow in my Subaru the other day and replaced it in one day easy. Wish this dumb Mazda was simple. lol
Fuel filters don't suddenly fail, they would give a loss of power way before stopping the engine starting and idling.

Best guess I have is the immobiliser kicked in or the fuel pump died. How did you test the fuel pump? How did you test for spark?

If you don't smell fuel from the exhaust after failing to start, I'd start thinking lack of fuel is the problem, either none in the tank (would likely give a loss of power first though, again not sudden death), a blockage or the pump has died.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Fuel filters don't suddenly fail, they would give a loss of power way before stopping the engine starting and idling.

Best guess I have is the immobiliser kicked in or the fuel pump died. How did you test the fuel pump? How did you test for spark?

If you don't smell fuel from the exhaust after failing to start, I'd start thinking lack of fuel is the problem, either none in the tank (would likely give a loss of power first though, again not sudden death), a blockage or the pump has died.
I have not had a chance to do the filter yet its been raining and I have been out of town, I'm going to change it just because I have a new one now. I tested the fuel pump by turning on the key and listening for it. I also disconnected the fuel line from it and cranked the key to see if gas was coming from it and it was. I tested for spark by taking the spark plug out and looking for the current coming from it and that was fine.

I also checked the immobilizer button and that was not the problem :-( it is frustrating that is for sure. I just thought of something that happened almost 6 months ago. The check engine light came on briefly and then shut off the next day I ran the code reader when it came on the code that came up was PO0122. The Throttle Position Sensor. No check engine light comes on now but I also have not been able to get it started again since it died. Maybe this could be the problem? No warning though.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM

I realize this ocurred last year , did you fix your problem and if so how?