Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   2003 Tribute Fuel Pump Issue? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/2003-tribute-fuel-pump-issue-23339/)

Jon 1964 07-05-2010 06:37 PM

2003 Tribute Fuel Pump Issue?

Hello:

I have a 2003 Tribute LX-V6, 2wd. With 97K miles. Original owner.

I have noticed over the last year, intermittently, there is a humming noise coming from the fuel pump area. It can be heard inside the car when the engine is running. Whether in drive or park. Seems to happen more frequently when the weather is hot. Happening more often now. Usually can't be heard if the car is strarted cold - then starts making noise after the car has been driven several miles. I have gotten out of the car and traced the noise coming from the fuel tank area. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump. Thinking I should replace it before it craps out.

I had a Mazda dealer replace the fuel filter last summer. The noise started just afterward. Think its problably a coincidence. Dealer said it was...

Anyway, I am firstly wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue in their 2001-2004 V6 Tribute? Secondly, does anyone know if a noisy fuel pump in these vehicles means certain death for the fuel pump?

If the pump does need to be replaced I am thinking of replacing the pump myself to save money. Because I am a cheapskate with some mechanical aptitude.

Is the fuel pump, which is combined with the sending unit and mounted into the fuel tank, the only fuel pump in this system? Or is there another one I need to worry about. Again, the noise comes from the fuel tank area.

From what I have heard, the pump can be accessed by tilting the rear passenger seat bottom forward. Is this true?

Next, I understand fuel pressure needs to be released before I start the disconnecting the fuel lines. I understand taking off the fuel cap will depressurize the fuel tank. Do I need to take other steps to depressurize the fuel in the lines? If so, how is that done?

From there, replacement seems as easy as disconnecting lines, and wires from the sender/fuel pump unit, unscrewwing the o-ring and yanking the old one (carefully) out. While being careful not to get spilled gas all over the place, and then dropping in/connecting the new one.

Repressurizing then is my next question. Is it as easy as turning the key to the on position/then off/then on (but not the start position) several times to repressurize? Then try to start it?

Please let me know.

brennan_fin 07-16-2010 03:30 AM

Hi, I could be a bit late replying to this thread.
To de-pressurise the fuel system remove the fuel pump fuse which you will find under the bonnet. Then start the car until it stops. Remove keys from ignition and do the neccessary work. There will still be some fuel in the lines just not pressurised. Remember to re-install the fuse afterwards.
cheers.

Jon 1964 07-21-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by brennan_fin (Post 109081)
Hi, I could be a bit late replying to this thread.
To de-pressurise the fuel system remove the fuel pump fuse which you will find under the bonnet. Then start the car until it stops. Remove keys from ignition and do the neccessary work. There will still be some fuel in the lines just not pressurised. Remember to re-install the fuse afterwards.
cheers.

Thanks for the input.

After posting this I called a Mazda dealer and they said all I needed to do was take off the gas cap, and there wouldn't be an issue with pressurization.

I did so, and had no problems with gas spraying everywhere. Replaced the pump and the Tribute is running fine.

Thanks again. :)

2002Tribute 10-24-2010 10:46 PM

Hi,
Now that your an expert, maybe you can help me.
I'm trying to remove the fuel pump in my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I took off the two fuel lines and the wire bracket. But I can't get the light blueish ring off to pull out the pump. I read that you should be able to turn it off. I could not physically turn it so I even tried using a screw driver in the notches going around . I thought I could hammer the screwdriver to get the ring to turn, but no luck. Actually chip small peice off. Is there a special tool or is it a matter of strength?

Jon 1964 10-25-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2002Tribute (Post 112574)
Hi,
Now that your an expert, maybe you can help me.
I'm trying to remove the fuel pump in my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I took off the two fuel lines and the wire bracket. But I can't get the light blueish ring off to pull out the pump. I read that you should be able to turn it off. I could not physically turn it so I even tried using a screw driver in the notches going around . I thought I could hammer the screwdriver to get the ring to turn, but no luck. Actually chip small peice off. Is there a special tool or is it a matter of strength?

There is a special tool.

However, I took a peice of wood - about 10" long 1 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick, and used it with a hammer. That way it wouldn't dig in and take out chunks of the ring or crack it. Took some pretty solid whacks with a heavy hammer to get it loose.

Once I had the pump out I used a siphon to vacuum sediment out of the bottom of the tank. Actually, I was quite surprised - in my case there were only a few specs of sediment - was pretty clean in there. Good to do as a precaution though.

Also, I was really careful to cover the carpeting surrounding the access port to the pump with plastic - so if any fuel dripped it wouldn't get on the carpet.

Keep in mind you may need to reuse the locking clips on the fuel lines of the pump you take out. I found the aftermarket pump I bought didn't include them.

When you reinstall the ring - lube threads up a bit with a white grease - it makes the ring go on much more smoothly and avoids initial cross threading.

PS: As you would expect, the rings loosens when turning to the left.

2002Tribute 10-25-2010 06:46 PM

Firsly, Thanks for replying so fast. So you used the wood like I did with the screw driver. It sounds like you put one end of the wood in a notch and hit the other end with hammer. Not a lot of room to work with, but I will give it a try on Wednesday. It is usally dark when I get home so Wednesday is my only chance. I tried calling about a tool, but nobody knew what I was talking about.
Thanks again. Let you know how it goes.

2002Tribute 10-28-2010 09:15 PM

Jon 1964
Thanks for your help. I had a piece of wood that was about the size you described. I tried to hit the ring at different angles several times with the hammer and wood. I finally broke it loose and then finally got it off. I got all the electical harnesses and fuel lines off. I extraceted the pump and got the new pump . The instuction did not really say much. I angled the new pump in the tank which had to be held down because it is spring loaded as I tried to evenly place the ring on and screw. I used the hammer and wood to get the ring on real tight. Put everything back on, hooked up the battery and the truck started right up. I then went to clean up and found a platic bag in bottom of box. I then realized that I was supposed to place a rubber washer ring on pump before installation.:( I had to do everything again. And the pump was full of gas and one electric harness would not come off. Long story short I got it all back and I am running smooth. Thanks again!!!!:)

Jon 1964 10-29-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2002Tribute (Post 112694)
Jon 1964
Thanks for your help. I had a piece of wood that was about the size you described. I tried to hit the ring at different angles several times with the hammer and wood. I finally broke it loose and then finally got it off. I got all the electical harnesses and fuel lines off. I extraceted the pump and got the new pump . The instuction did not really say much. I angled the new pump in the tank which had to be held down because it is spring loaded as I tried to evenly place the ring on and screw. I used the hammer and wood to get the ring on real tight. Put everything back on, hooked up the battery and the truck started right up. I then went to clean up and found a platic bag in bottom of box. I then realized that I was supposed to place a rubber washer ring on pump before installation.:( I had to do everything again. And the pump was full of gas and one electric harness would not come off. Long story short I got it all back and I am running smooth. Thanks again!!!!:)

Yeah, remembering the gasket is key!

I'm glad it all worked out for you. We have put a bit over 2,000 miles on the Tribute since the install. Its working fine.

Next project is replacing the camshaft sensor seals on my '94 Miata. :D

Fan2012 01-08-2012 11:25 PM

Fuel pump relpacement

The string of postings are very encouraging as I am in a point to open up the blueish flange over the tank. It seems that a stronger hammer hit, "counterclockwise", would do the job. I was a bit timid today. Will try it tomorrow.

Any recommendation on the replacement part or repair kit? I can buy it from a nearby auto store for 199 buck. Also, any difference for 2.0L and 3.0L DX model? Sorry for many questions.....will be better next time.

Thx again...

Fan2012 01-10-2012 04:25 PM

Thanks for replies from many of you. To give you an update, the car is up running, after replacing a fuel pump purchased from O'reily Autoparts (I could have saved some bucks by buying it online but thought to save time). I was unable to open up the gas tank cap but did it after removing it from car (gaining more access space). After examining the used pump, I found the pump itself dead. Good news!

I am thinking to rebuild it by replacing the pump. Specifically, what type of pump exactly such as model number to buy? I do not think a good idea to have the assembly sit in my garage.

Cheers and thx again