Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Tribute Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Unhappy 2001 Tribute Power steering leak

Over the last few months I have had to add fluid. Recently the leak got considerable worse, and the steering noisy/whining when turning. At one time I accidentally added a small amount of brake fluid to top it up. I realized it right away before starting the vehicle, and suctioned out the reservoir, and added the proper fluid. I took it to a "shade tree" mechanic who was a relative of a friend. He replaced the power steering pump with a re-manufactured one. Overnight the fluid leaked out (much worse than before the new pump) and I can see bubbles circulating in the reservoir. I had pointed out when I dropped it off that my Haynes Repair Manual said that "Teflon" seal (AKA: O-ring) should be replaced on the high pressure outlet. I left the manual with the "mechanic", even though he said he didn't need it. When I questioned the "mechanic" he said he did not install an new O-ring. My theory is is that the O-ring is now missing completely, or has deteriorated more causing the it to leak more rapidly. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I went to the dealer today, and they special ordered one of the O-rings (the other one is no longer available). I have a box of SAE O-rings, but I am not sure what size is needed (the dealer didn't know either), or if I need to get metric O-rings. Is there any Mazda forum members that might be able to answer whether the O-rings are SAE or Metric? And what size. or Sizes are required. Also the O-ring I have are "nitrile rubber"

How can I tell if the Rack & Pinion is damaged too?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Follow up: Ended up taking it to a real mechanic. Installed another power steering pump and pulley wheel. The first mechanic bent the pulley wheel because he used the wrong type puller (three point). You can rent the proper tool at NAPA auto parts for $9. Also he broke off the bottom radiator hose connection, and tried to epoxy it back on. It fell off, and a new radiator needed to be installed. All total it cost me $1250 to fix what the first mechanic damaged. The only good part of this story is I now have a good trustworthy shop to take my Tribute to for repairs.