Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   2001 Tribute fuel pump not getting continuous power (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/2001-tribute-fuel-pump-not-getting-continuous-power-39292/)

gman01Tribute 12-31-2017 02:58 PM

2001 Tribute fuel pump not getting continuous power

We have a 2001 Tribute V-6 3.0, automatic trans, Vehicle has 212k but motor and trans have only 62k(reman units). About half the time you get in it lately it doesn't start on the first 1 or 2 tries, sometimes you have to take the key out and try it a few times over a few minutes. We have learned to listen for the fuel pump turning on. Sometimes you hear it and it will crank and run fine, sometimes you hear it and it will crank but die out in about 10 seconds, sometimes you just don't hear it and it doesn't crank. We had to have a new set of keys programmed last month, switch got stuck. It was doing this before the switch/key replacement. I've checked and changed the relay(new), checked the plug at the pump, not getting full 12 volts to the pink wire all the time. Sometimes no power at all, sometimes it starts at 12v then drops to 6.5v. When it does click the pump on and it cranks and runs, it runs fine no skipping, missing or cutting out. Seems to only be a starting issue. Any help would be a blessing.:mad: Kind of hard to take it out if you can't trust that it will start and get you home. Should add that it shows no trouble codes.

simonsi 01-01-2018 03:42 AM

Check your earth straps and battery connections, not cranking implies a different problem to no fuel pump but poor earthing or battery connections could cause both.

gman01Tribute 01-02-2018 06:59 PM

All the grounds have been checked. It turns over just fine, just not turning the fuel pump on all the time. Going to check in the morning if the PCM is sending the relay to ground when the key is engaged. Looking more like a bad relay receptacle or a problem with the PCM at times. If all else fails, it's time to take it to the Mechanic. Will post the findings as I check things off. Really don't want to have to replace the PCM.(ECM)

simonsi 01-02-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by gman01Tribute (Post 165476)
...sometimes you just don't hear it and it doesn't crank...

Ok - then this was a bit confusing ;-)

Fuel pump relays on injected cars are often de-energised if fuel pressure isn't detected so best to check when cranking (FP should be ON), if no start detected after a few seconds the FP can be cut to prevent flooding and/or there may be a leak. So if you just turn the ignition on, you may have 12V at the pump for 10secs then it is cut by the ECU.

gman01Tribute 01-03-2018 11:51 AM

We were checking the voltage with the key in the crank position. Sorry for not putting that out there. Relay isn't clicking when in the crank position, so no power to the pump.:mad: Couldn't get it to do anything this am for at least the first dozen times turning it over, so off it went to the mechanic shop. I did give them a write up of everything done and what I had checked, their response was that they agreed that it was rather suspect, but they would check the wiring and the relay receptacle and check the ECM. They were leaning more to the ECM, said it could be removed and sent out for repair and reprogramming if necessary. Should know more in a day or two. will post results.

grim_reaper 01-06-2018 12:47 AM

Have you checked for earth feed from the PCM to the relay?
Have you checked for power to the relay & from the relay?
Have you swapped out the relay for another in the fusebox?

gman01Tribute 01-06-2018 12:10 PM

Due to bad weather here the past few days, ice, snow, lows in the single digits, I wasn't able to much more checking myself, dropped it at the shop Wed. morning before the crap started falling. I did switch out relays with a known good one, no difference. If the shop can't figure it out, off to the dealership it goes.:eek: Will post as I find out stuff.

gman01Tribute 01-12-2018 10:45 AM

Update.
Got the Tribute back yesterday. The shop replaced the starter switch part of the ignition switch, replaced the fuel pump, and replaced a bad coil pack on #5 cylinder. So far so good, cranks every time and no skipping or sputter or hesitation. Hopefully this repair will be all it needs for a while. Fuel pump was weak and not putting out the proper psi. :)

grim_reaper 01-15-2018 04:04 AM

Fingers crossed.