Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Melted Throttle Control Cable?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Default Melted Throttle Control Cable?

2008 Mazda Tribute S - V6 - 3.0L

I was under the hood earlier this week, swapping out the spark plugs and coils on the front bank of the engine when I noticed that the throttle control cable (?) was resting on top of a hose going to the rear of the intake, and it had melted almost completely through the foam. I've circled the area in question in green on the top photo, and also included a close up of the melted foam section of cable. It seems that the throttle control cable came out of the clamp that holds it up off of this area. I snapped the cable back into the clamp, and it's holding up there now just fine.

Just looking to correctly identify these parts. This melted foam/cable is indeed the throttle control cable, correct? Also, what's the hose/connection with the green clip that it was resting on?

Is this something that need any additional attention other than re-securing as I have done? Any symptoms I should be watching out for?

Thank you!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM

I'm not convinced it has melted as such as the connector with the green clip doesn't look like it has or should get that hot. The foam around the throttle cable will abrade with the vibration through contact though.

The "hose" with the green clip looks corrugated though, are you sure its not wiring?

Either way you should be good to go, if the throttle cable was getting hot due to any heat and the lack of insulation the peak will be passed now you have clipped it back and away so I'd not expect any trouble as a result. Probably not clipped back by mistake, maybe after upper plenum removal? Its definitely had some COP issues before as the two hi-vis COP's visible indicate...

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I’m not sure that it’s not wiring, I’m not very well versed in knowing what things are. I learn as I go, and I try. The hi-viz COP you’re seeing are what I was putting in, chasing some misfire/hesitation issues. The car wasn’t throwing any codes for the longest time when I was having this issue, but I finally threw a P0305 code, so I decided to replace the COPs and plugs on all three front cylinders since the access is easy. One day, I’ll pull the intake and do the back three, but it’s running a hell of a lot better so far.
This melting/rubbing was just something I happened to notice and wondered if it was something I should be concerned about. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Cool - I'm near the same thing as my 2001 has some intermittent hesitation at low rpm in overdrive.

Access to the rear 3 plugs means removing the upper manifold but its not too bad a job and there are youtube videos to show you how.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 PM

I have been watching those YouTube videos on repeat to prepare myself! I was hoping someone along the way would say what that green connector is, but no luck so far, they just say, “disconnect this hose/thing by pushing in the green part and then pull it off.” Helpful for getting it apart, but doesn’t tell me what it is!
In all the research I did, coils and plugs were the most often suggested repair, but once I saw how big the job was to get access to the back three, I putzed around doing other stuff first. Cleaned the MAF and the throttle body, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, all before it threw the code. Once it told me cylinder 5, I bit the bullet and bought a set of COP’s and plugs, and resolved to just do the front three until I had a free, warm day to set aside for the back.