Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

06 Tribute not starting battery cables HOT!!!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Default 06 Tribute not starting battery cables HOT!!!

my 06 Tribute won’t start, New battery, new starter, good alternator, good relays. Acts like a dead battery and drains the battery when I crank it leaving the battery cables HOT!!

Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Helpplease
my 06 Tribute won’t start, New battery, new starter, good alternator, good relays. Acts like a dead battery and drains the battery when I crank it leaving the battery cables HOT!!
Does the engine crank and turn over but not start and run? Continuous attempts to start will make the cables hot, that isnt likely the problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Default Cranks but does not turnover then acts like a dead battery

Battery life is drained after attempting to start leaving the cables hot. Brand new starter, good relays and a good alternator

Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM

Battery life is drained after attempting to start leaving the cables hot. Brand new starter, good relays and a good alternator
Ok, this still isn't clear my end so please tell me does the engine crank when you turn the key or not?

I get that it doesn't start and run but BOTH scenarios, if it cranks and if it doesn't crank on the key can cause hot cables due to the current. BOTH scenarios will leave you with a dead battery. Each scenario will have a different cause.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Default Reply

It attempts to crank, when I turn the ignition the only thing it does is attempt to crank and then wind down “click rhow rhow rhowwwww” then nothing and I’m left with a dead battery as stated earlier. Thank you for trying to help btw it is greatly appreciated 🙏

Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM

It attempts to crank, when I turn the ignition the only thing it does is attempt to crank and then wind down “click rhow rhow rhowwwww” then nothing and I’m left with a dead battery as stated earlier. Thank you for trying to help btw it is greatly appreciated 🙏
OK, now a good battery should be able to crank the motor for several minutes but doing that will make the cables hot as you have found. If the engine doesn't start in a few seconds though there is no point in continuing to crank as the ECU will have turned the fuel pump off, limit any starting attempts to 10secs, if it doesn't start then pause before trying again, if it hasn't started in 3 attempts then TBH there is no point in continuing to try, there is clearly something amiss.

So after cranking for 10secs and no start, smell the exhaust pipe, if you smell raw gas then likely you have an ignition issue, if you don't smell gas then likely you have a fuel pump issue.

Before doing anything else you should have the car scanned for codes and maybe consider getting it towed to a shop as continuing to potentially put unburnt fuel down the exhaust isn't good for the cats either.

Is this a V6 or the 2.0/2.3 4 cylinder engine?
Are you using a key that has been known to start the car before? (so had/has any transponder in it for anti-theft) Have you tried a spare key if you have one?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by simonsi
OK, now a good battery should be able to crank the motor for several minutes but doing that will make the cables hot as you have found. If the engine doesn't start in a few seconds though there is no point in continuing to crank as the ECU will have turned the fuel pump off, limit any starting attempts to 10secs, if it doesn't start then pause before trying again, if it hasn't started in 3 attempts then TBH there is no point in continuing to try, there is clearly something amiss.

So after cranking for 10secs and no start, smell the exhaust pipe, if you smell raw gas then likely you have an ignition issue, if you don't smell gas then likely you have a fuel pump issue.

Before doing anything else you should have the car scanned for codes and maybe consider getting it towed to a shop as continuing to potentially put unburnt fuel down the exhaust isn't good for the cats either.

Is this a V6 or the 2.0/2.3 4 cylinder engine?
Are you using a key that has been known to start the car before? (so had/has any transponder in it for anti-theft) Have you tried a spare key if you have one?
2.3 w/factory non chipped key. Same key that’s always started it. Thanks for the info I’ll give it a shot and see what I come up with

Old 01-12-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Get your battery tested. Then try hooking a good battery directly to the starter, then try starting the vehicle as normal.