Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda RX-7 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-rx-7-33/)
-   -   What are the dangers of tuning your own vehicle? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-rx-7-33/what-dangers-tuning-your-own-vehicle-29822/)

JackF 08-06-2012 01:53 PM

What are the dangers of tuning your own vehicle?

So, besides the obvious,
what are the dangers of learning to tune
your own vehicle?

JackF 08-07-2012 11:21 AM

Whats holding you back, or your challenges,
to learning to tune proper?

Is it accessibility?

Is it Price?

Is it the fact that there is not a Complete System?

MazdaTirol 08-07-2012 11:23 AM

One biggie depending on where you live is not being able to pass inspection.

JackF 08-08-2012 09:41 AM

Proper tune

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol (Post 130586)
One biggie depending on where you live is not being able to pass inspection.

Actually with a proper tune your emissions will improve.

Especially, when you have engine modifications.

MazdaTirol 08-08-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JackF (Post 130614)
Actually with a proper tune your emissions will improve.

Especially, when you have engine modifications.

I wasn't just talking about emissions, in some jurisdictions, for instance where I live, if you increase your horsepower your insurance is then void and your car has to be re-inspected, re-typed (registration redone with higher horsepower) and re-insured at a higher premium since the car is not as was manufactured and is more powerful (insurance is HP based here), they have to check that all is ok and is safe and passes emissions. If you change your tire size to one not used stock by the manufacturer it has to be re-inspected and re-typed with the new size added to the approved list on your registration, its the same with any vehicle modifications here.

JackF 08-09-2012 08:07 AM

Well looking at your vehicle list
I can see where you are coming from.
No offence is intended.

However, I don't see how they could afford to
dyno every car to check max power.

For example I added a boost controller to an Eagle Talon I used to own.
She picked up 40 hp at the fly.

How could any one know that I added that boost controller?
Aside from your f250, adding power through tuning will require modifications that would be seen by an inspector.

But the rx7's and mazdaspeed cars have a difinitive advantage. Power can be obtained and undetected my inspectors.

I sent this from my phone so please excuse the shortness and spelling.

Cheers

MazdaTirol 08-09-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JackF (Post 130623)
Well looking at your vehicle list
I can see where you are coming from.
No offence is intended.

None taken ;)

However, I don't see how they could afford to
dyno every car to check max power.

Its easy, YOU pay, each ÖAMTC station here has its own dyno, if the police suspect your car is modified (and not approved) when they stop you they send you there, if during your yearly inspection the mechanic thinks its modified (and not approved) he sends you there.

For example I added a boost controller to an Eagle Talon I used to own.
She picked up 40 hp at the fly.

The Talon stock (if it had 180 hp) would be $110 a month insurance, adding 40 HP (almost the power of my roommates Panda) adds another $45 since it puts you in the next power bracket and all this if you had no accidents.

How could any one know that I added that boost controller?
Aside from your f250, adding power through tuning will require modifications that would be seen by an inspector.

There are random vehicle inspections, the police will bring a mobile dyno to a shopping center/rest station/any large parking lot and stop a portion of the cars and trucks going by on the street and dyno them, compare the results to the registered HP on your papers and if your over your ticketed and have to get your car re-approved.

But the rx7's and mazdaspeed cars have a difinitive advantage. Power can be obtained and undetected my inspectors.

Mazdaspeed doesnt exist here by that name, I think its under the Mazda3 MPS with 255hp although I couldnt afford the insurance on that

I sent this from my phone so please excuse the shortness and spelling.

No problems :D

Cheers

In the end always be aware of your local laws and regs. Also I have had my 3 dynoed a few times by the police, I run an average of 95hp in mine at the wheels which is 8.6% lower than the 104hp on my registration. The 323 has yet to be snagged by the cops :P Oh BTW I got a warning this morning by the nice police that stopped me at a roundabout they were sitting at, I need a new muffler on my 3 since its making a louder noise than stock, I have 60 days to get one............yay

UseYourNoggin 08-09-2012 09:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It does partly depend on emissions inspection. I think we in Canada are going to plugging in the computer and not close inspection. Not sure about tail pipe sniffing. Someone also said Headers won't pass emissions as you lose pre-cats (if you have any, not sure what your car set-up is, I am generally speaking here). Also I read: if you install headers you must change your secondary cats from ceramic/organic to metallic. In some areas, removal of catalytics is an offence: the person who removed the converter violated federal law, but not necessarily the person who sold the vehicle. However, the sale of vehicles that have had the emission control system removed, disabled, or tampered with may be further governed by state or local laws (FROM: I just bought a used car and discovered the catalytic converter is missing Is that legal ), USA Law.

I agree with you that hidden modifications as you suggest should not be an issue. :D I am shocked that Mazda Tirol has had his vehicle DYNO'd by Police! Never heard of that! Sucks to drive in Austria! It's not that strict here in Canada!

For a guaranteed extra 15 HP install the sticker in my attachments! :rolleyes:

MazdaTirol 08-09-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin (Post 130625)
In some areas, removal of catalytics is an offence: the person who removed the converter violated federal law, but not necessarily the person who sold the vehicle.

What if your truck decided it didnt like that cat-converter anymore and spat out massive amounts white hot chunks of it going down the road? Been there done that with my 460 F250 I had :p

UseYourNoggin 08-09-2012 09:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol (Post 130627)
What if your truck decided it didnt like that cat-converter anymore and spat out massive amounts white hot chunks of it going down the road? Been there done that with my 460 F250 I had :p

Blame the truck! As long it is still there! Play the STUPID CARD: I don't know.
I guess you'll have to buy a resonator for your noisy exhaust? Strict Police pricks! :mad:
I have the perfect sticker group for you: