Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

87 IDLE PROBLEM, won't stay running!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Default 87 IDLE PROBLEM, won't stay running!

so we were having the typical rx7 flooding problems lately, and I got stuck out at my college and my dad had to come and help me pull the plugs and clean them and then eventually we had to pull the "Eng. Inj" fuse and crank it over a few times with that off and then tried it again and it fired up, BUT now it won't STAY ON. It will fire up and rev up to 3k by itself and then it will slowly go down and the only way to keep it on it to hold the gas down a bit or it will die. tried messing with idle screw but no luck there. any ideas??? thanks guys!!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: 87 IDLE PROBLEM, won't stay running!

My 87 TII has a similar problem. You have to keep it alive via pedal. After you warm it for a few minutes it runs just fine. Mazda tells me it's the low compression from torn seals. I'm going to have the engine replaced within the year. Try keeping it alive at around 1500 RPM for 5 minutes or longer then slowly let the RPM drop, if it goes below factory idle (800) or whatever it used to idle at, then feed it more ga and wait a little bit more If it starts to idle after being warm, then you have the same problem, and it's really a major annoyance more than a funtioning problem. After mine is warmed up it drives just fine, idles where it should, and has run for 3 hours after warm up(I haven't driven it much yet) If you can get it running with my warming technique and it functions properly, take it to Mazda to get a tuneup and check the compression. Ask for the dated compression results because many Mazda dealers just tell you they did a test and say it's low compression because they don't want to deal with a rotary engine that's nearly 20 years old. I hope I helped.