Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

What is this widget?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
2000 Protege judging by the other posts Engine size though.............. If you could add your vehicle to your sig protegedad that will help lots! Thanks!
Sig line added!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Okay, I still don't have the car to look at, but my daughter sent a pic of the vacuum diagram. I'm guessing the mystery widget must be the "purge control valve".

MazdaTirol, would that be the same as the "Vapor Canister Purge Valve" you showed me at Rockauto?? If so, you are a GENIUS.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

Okay, my daughter FINALLY came home during daylight hours yesterday, and I got a look under the hood at the vacuum system. The mystery widget is indeed the Purge Control Valve, a.k.a. Vapor Canister Purge Valve.

MazdaTirol, you are in fact a genius.

I have only one other question, if anyone knows: How critical is this thing? At $130 plus shipping, it'd be nice to just let my epoxy job stay for a while, provided that a sudden failure of said widget would not leave my girl sitting alongside the road somewhere.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM

The purpose of the vapor control system is to save planet earth for future generations. The canister is filled with active carbon and captures the gasonline fumes when you fill up the tank and such. The captured hydrocarbons are then released as fuel when the engine operates. That restores the canister's capacity to save said planet.
I have not heard of a bad vapor control valve disabling an engine. There could be drivabilty problems associated with a bad system, but not a disabled engine.

Of course my hearing is not that great anymore. (Cupping the left hand behind the ear and tilting the head, listening for echos and catcalls ;-) )

I bet your friendly local automotive recycling operator (junk yard) has one for $50.0o, just in case the epoxy job fails.

Last edited by tanprotege; 12-08-2012 at 09:51 AM.