Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

short shft kit install-->help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Default short shft kit install-->help!

i need a hand installing my short shift kit...any tip[s can help

Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Default RE: short shft kit install-->help!

first, you need to get under the car and pull the bolt that holds the shift linkage to the shifter. you might have to remove the heat shield from the midpipe, but i didn't. then you disassemble the center console. all that you should have to remove is the cup holders and shift boot. to remove the boot, you will have to remove the ball. then, there is a ring that holds the stock shifter and bushings in. this ring requires a special tool that closes the ring and releases it from it's place. it is tough to get out, but with the tool, it should come out after a couple of tries. then you pull the stock shifter and drop in the new one. make sure that the new shifter doesn't hit the heat shield that is below it. next, you will either re-use the bushings that are in the stock shifter (where it meets the linkage), or put in a new set. either way is fine as long as the stock ones are not destroyed. after the bushings are in place, you can connect it to the linkage the same way the old one came off, just make sure you get it the right direction. there are two ways you can get it in. the shifter should lean towards the rear of the car. if the shifter hits the heat shield, you can bend the shield or just pull it and wrap the midpipe with heat wrap. finally, everything goes back together the way that it came off.

veteran install time: 30-45 minutes
rookie/first time: 60-90 minutes

just take your time and remember everything that you do. someone on the forum has a signature that says, "there is no tool that replaces experience" my quote, "the most important things in life are learned by doing."