Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

INSANE oil consumption- help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Default INSANE oil consumption- help?

Hey all-

New to this forum, but veteran of many others. Friend has an '01 Protege sedan with about 113k on it. Hasn't had it long. Motor runs well, car drives well, but we've noticed that it uses a LOT of oil. No smoke, ZERO oil leaks, plugs clean and dry, coolant color/level stays consistent, yet it's using about one quart of oil every 300-400 miles. A shop looked at it today, and is clueless (spent an hour + on it, but didn't charge me a dime since they couldn't find anything). I even had them check transaxle level to ensure it wasn't leaking into trans somehow. No codes either. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. Between oil in coolant, blue exhaust smoke, or leaks, I can't think of a single other place the oil could be going.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Thanks!

Last edited by az350x; 11-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Check your PCV valve.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Check your PCV valve.
Well, for the $2 it costs for a new one, I went ahead and replaced it last night. Old one seemed free internally, so we'll see if it has any effect. After thinking about it some more, when I have some free time I think I'll go back and have another look at the hoses running to/from the PCV and check for leaks/obstructions.

Anyone else have any ideas??

Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 PM

You could try to see what some fixes in the can might do. But don't mix a whole lot of different stuff all at once.
A "Seafoam" treatment could help to get piston rings unstuck.
If that does not help you may give "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" a try. If it helps it is probably internal wear.
You could try some "max-life" or "high mileage" oil. These have seal conditioners that swell worn seals. If that helps you know it is dried up main seals or valve guide seals.

A leak down test with compressed air could reveal a path for the oil. There is a Youtube video that shows how to do a leak down test.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
You could try to see what some fixes in the can might do. But don't mix a whole lot of different stuff all at once.
A "Seafoam" treatment could help to get piston rings unstuck.
If that does not help you may give "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" a try. If it helps it is probably internal wear.
You could try some "max-life" or "high mileage" oil. These have seal conditioners that swell worn seals. If that helps you know it is dried up main seals or valve guide seals.

A leak down test with compressed air could reveal a path for the oil. There is a Youtube video that shows how to do a leak down test.
Lucas Oil Stabilizer = huile de serpent

Said another way, save your money.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Lucas Oil Stabilizer = huile de serpent

Said another way, save your money.
I did not promise that the product will fix a problem. It is a high viscosity oil and it can mask the problem for a while. If it does that you can conclude that the rings are not sealing due to wear or scratched cylinder walls.
I suggest to use it as a means to narrow down the cause of the oil consumption, nothing more.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM

At this consumption rate, wouldn't it be IMPOSSIBLE not to have detectable amounts of oil smoke from the exhaust? The shop that looked at it Friday told me on the phone that they would do a leakdown test when I brought it in. I didn't ask specifically if that's what they did, but I would hope so. They had it on the hoist, looked it up one side and down the other for over an hour and say that they can't find any reason for the consumption- clean tailpipe, clean plugs, no abnormal leaks, etc.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Your car proves that it is possible. Search Youtube for Leak down test/compression test. There is one done on a Ford truck or SUV. It explains in detail what needs to be done. Your description makes me think it has not been done to that extend. You could show the video to the guys.
There may be not enough smoke if the the converter burns the oil efficiently. But I agree, there must be a trace somewhere. Is your engine bay show room clean? If it's really clean it would help to detect leaks.
You could ask them to put a detection additive into the oil, you drive 50 to 100 miles and then search with a black light for the leaks.